Provide leadership to integrate the development of new and innovative solutions to product designs for climbing products. Directs the daily activities of product design, specification, development, testing, and documentation. Responsible for providing technical support and training to Sales and Marketing in coordination with manufacturing processes. Works directly with domestic & international manufacturing operations teams and sourced suppliers on projects and initiatives to achieve ‘best in class’ manufacturing cost performance. Collaborates in short & long term strategic planning activities for product design in the ongoing life cycle management of products, packaging, services, and engineering infrastructure.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Job Functions)
This self-motivated individual will provide support for, but not limited to, the following areas:
- Benchmark other companies for improving overall proficiency and performance of the product engineering department.
- Continuously improve and advance the technical and execution capability of the engineering team through skills, tools, training, systems, and process investment.
- Responsible for driving an environment where individuals consistently recognize each other’s achievements and that processes are in place across all locations.
- Manage Prototype and Testing facility personnel and priorities to ensure optimal support to product development activities.
New Product Development
- Managerial oversite on all product related activities to ensure a successful launch and execution of new products throughout the various phases of the NPD process.
- Responsible for providing input to overall preparation and continued maintenance of 3-yearproduct roadmap with product management.
- Participate in development of Werner Co’s product portfolio to fulfill the strategic plan set forth by senior management by ensuring information is accurate and complete through Phase 1 of the NPD process.
- Lead the development of new product technologies and work in conjunction with the Advanced Development team to transfer knowledge across other Werner Co. locations.
- Participate in annual Technology Roadmap and stay up to date by participating in Technical Trade shows and transferring knowledge into engineering organization
- Drive improvements in productivity and product features throughout areas of existing product designs utilizing new technologies that emerge where applicable (extrusion, webbing, fabrication, assembly, plastics).
- Participate in intellectual property review process for application of new patents where applicable and ensure existing competitor patents are not infringed in conjunction with new product development projects.
- Participates in ANSI related task force and subcommittees.
- Understands and follows Quality Management System.
- Bilingual (Spanish & English) preferred
- Project Management (Microsoft Project) preferred
- Strong (written & spoken) Communications Skills at all levels
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills (6-sigma formal training preferred)
- People Management Skills (direct and Indirect)
Education and Experience Requirements
- BSME or equivalent
- Masters in Management of Engineering (preferred)
- Managerial – 5+ years of managing an Engineering department or organization.Preferred to have worked withinternational design centers outside of North America.
- Design and Development Capability – 10+ years of designing products for professional, hardware, or retailchannels of distribution.
- Cross-functional activities – 10+ years of working with other functional members to have a good understanding of requirements to do each job (production, scheduling, inventory management, product design & testing, manufacturing processes).
- Project Management – 5 to 10 years of managing projects or programs with major focus on cross-functional approach.
- Interpersonal Skills - Ability to work well with all levels of the organization in a matrix environment to drive change
- Confident - Able to be flexible and open to others ideas but confident in one’s abilities to question others.
- Advanced level skills using MS Office products including Excel, Project, PowerPoint, and Word
- Ability to travel as required, estimated 30% of the time