ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Tax Advice and Planning
- Develop advice to the organization including collaborating cross-functionally with pricing, operations, supply chain, legal, underwriting, and local finance business partners on the tax implications of new programs and changes to existing programs. Document programs and tax related process flows in PowerPoint slides.
- Provide support to Legal teams by reviewing contracts and agreements between Asurion and business parties from a tax perspective suggesting the necessary amendments to be made, whenever applicable.
- Collaborate with and engage a network of external thought and service partners to leverage on an as needed basis to design and implement tax solutions. Manage the related consulting budget.
- Identify, analyze, and implement indirect tax savings opportunities.
- Design and implement tools and methodologies to assess the impact of implemented solutions.
- Perform tax research and prepare tax memorandum documenting tax technical positions.
- Keep abreast of key tax law and regulatory changes and initiate communication on the potential impact to the business to the relevant stakeholders.
- Manage the implementation of tax solutions with effective change management, ensuring stakeholder engagement throughout the process.
- Partner closely with supply chain and local finance teams to identify key focus areas that will maximize tax mitigation strategies and/or close the gaps in driving achievement of business objectives.
- Respond to ad hoc requests, operational questions and review client and vendor contracts for identification of tax-related issues.
- Assist other members of the tax team with special projects, reporting, and analysis, when needed.
- Manage tax team members: delegate tasks, supervise and review the working papers prepared by the teams, provide feedback.
- Ensure the team meets deadlines and delivers expected results consistently, with emphasis on executing tactical technical tasks, collaborate with managers and more senior leaders to remove impediments to accomplishing team goals.
- Expected to be a “hands-on” technical resource in addition to execution of people leadership responsibilities; able to appropriately handle many escalated items.
- Is a sought-out resource for other Tax and Finance colleagues; provides technical guidance to others in collaboration with senior team leadership; demonstrates strong people leadership skills.
- Responsible for leading or managing complex reviews/projects – including effectively working with multiple senior internal/external stakeholders with varying perspectives.
Compliance and Audits
- Manage the company’s indirect tax compliance responsibilities for LATAM countries supervising and reviewing tax calculations and returns prepared by Asurion local accountants and ensuring all returns are timely filed and taxes are timely remitted in each jurisdiction.
- Review and approve payment requests ensuring correct calculation and assignment of withholding taxes on payments to be made by Accounts Payable to local vendors.
- Serve as the coordinator and lead communicator on tax audit related matters globally including working with local Finance team members and business partners.
- Manage indirect taxes and mitigate losses, e.g., input credit recovery and/or output tax reporting and collection, including overseeing and reviewing tax accounts reconciliation to the tax returns.
- Identify and document tax related contingencies for proper reporting and disclosure.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal colleagues and external counsel, professional service providers and community organizations.
- Serve as a primary point of contact for day-to-day questions and guidance for internal financial and operational functions as well as governmental agencies.
- Exhibit ability to apply and explain highly technical information and expertise effectively in a business environment.
- Demonstrate excellent research skills, know how to get to the key issues quickly and access the necessary resources to supplement own knowledge.
- Embrace change – stay current on changes in tax laws and regulations and the resulting affects within the business.
- Apply deep intellectual curiosity to understand the business and provides strategic and unique value for assigned projects.
- Apply expertise and creativity maximizing savings for the business within the boundaries of the applicable laws and regulations.
- Solicit and bring to the team ideas from multiple sources to keep business informed on latest best practices and requirements along with potential implications for Asurion.
- Critically evaluate own or others’ work product—ask insightful questions to uncover potential issues, inaccuracies, or unsupported assumptions
- Is highly organized and an effective task and project planner; exercise significant independence through using time effectively and meeting deadlines and reporting requirements.
- Handle high volume of work efficiently; continually evaluates technology tools/software options for application to tax planning, analysis and return calculations and reports; seek ways to automate tasks and drive overall team efficiency.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or similar
- CPA or equivalent preferred
- 6+ years of international tax experience with a focus on LATAM a plus
- Big 4 experience strongly preferred
- Experience with non-US indirect transactional taxes
- Experience in the insurance/reinsurance industries a plus
- Experience with taxing authorities and dispute resolution
- Computer proficiency in PC applications
- General understanding of basic international tax implications to U.S. multi-nationals
This position requires advanced language skills including the ability to speak, read, write, analyze, and interpret complex instructions, correspondence, legal documents, financial reports and/or technical documents in Spanish and English with Portuguese as a plus. The ability to respond effectively to clients, employees, and management and to handle sensitive and/or confidential communications is also required.
This position must possess an in-depth knowledge of non-US VAT and GST systems as well as broad experience with these taxes in LATAM countries.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
It is a preferred of this position to have a CPA or equivalent.
The physical demands of this position are those found in a standard office environment. Employee may spend 6- 8 hours per day sitting and working at a computer. The ability to adjust focus, use hands to grasp, finger, handle, reach or feel and sit for prolonged periods are needed for this position.
This position may require travel domestically and internationally which should be less than 10% of total time during a year.
*This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties as requested by his or her supervisor(s). This description is subject to review and modification at any time without notification.