An employee-owned company with more than $4 billion in sales, Scoular employs more than 1,000 people in over 100 offices and facilities in North and South America, and Asia. For 125 years, feed and food customers have been counting on Scoular people to create safe and reliable supply chain solutions for end-users and suppliers of grain, feed ingredients, and food ingredients around the globe.
The International Market Manager has primary responsibility for all aspects of the export supply chain, including origination and sales specific to a targeted international market segment, with an emphasis on Asia. This includes sourcing and selling selected grain and feed ingredients, orchestrating container logistics solutions, establishing supplier and customer relationships, ensuring execution of transportation of grain and feed ingredients to and from transload facilities and tracking the same, implementing supply chain tactics, managing collections of accounts receivable and generally assuring the entire export supply chain operates at a profit. The International Market Manager will be knowledgeable of the Company’s risk management strategies and will incorporate these strategies into procurement and sales planning.
- Plan, organize and perform origination and sales activity for an international market segment or segments assigned by the Sr. Group Manager/Sr. Manager
- Proactively communicate daily market pricing and trends in order to effectively support coordinated merchandising programs. This includes generating leads, developing new prospects, developing competitive grain and feed ingredient containerized solutions and closing of new business as well as understanding sourcing grain and feed ingredients on a least cost basis, being accountable for least costing all grain and feed ingredients being sourced for the targeted international market segment and the business unit as a whole, and documenting all origination, transloading and sales activity to improve the effectiveness of the origination, sales and marketing efforts using the Scoular vender/customer management systems.
- Develop and manage vendor, transloader, transportation and customer relationships. This includes being responsible for the maintenance of key vendor, transloader, transportation and customer relationships, developing new principal vendors to procure the quality and quantity of product necessary to support export sales to the targeted international market segment, using a database of vendors, transloaders and transportation providers to support the export sales needs, and profiling current vendors, transloaders, transportation providers and customers.
- Monitor the effectiveness of logistics and documentation in the execution of purchases and sales, and support administrative functions, including deal tickets, inventory management, accounting, financial reporting and cash management.
- Coordinate internal resources to maximize institutional knowledge of the targeted international market segment (e.g. work with Scoular International Finance Manager to identify credit worthiness of vendors and customers, and engage in trade that uses acceptable company payment terms, communicate to internal Scoular resources the economics, market news and statistical data for different agricultural products traded by the Company within the targeted international market segment as well as the forces that drive competitor activities from suppliers anywhere in the world, and provide analysis of currency exchange rates and political activities within the targeted international market segment).
- Communicate origination and sales activity to the Sr. Group Manager/Sr. Manager via reports, the Scoular vendor/customer management systems (e.g., timely completion of travelreports, vendor and customer entry notes, participation in origination and sales conference calls), other Scoular management systems and other written and oral communication. Assist the Sr. Group Manager/Sr. Manager in any requested work related tasks.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field or equivalent industry experience.
- Experience in trading Feed Ingredients such as dried distiller grains, cottonseed, or other feed ingredients
- Demonstrated experience of accountability for the profit and loss of an international market segment, at least a portion of which includes Asia.
- Demonstrated experience purchasing agricultural commodities, coordinating the transloading of the same, if necessary, orchestrating container logistics solutions and selling the agricultural commodities in containers to an international market segment, at least a portion of which includes Asia.
- Demonstrated experience in trading agricultural commodities in an international market segment, at least a portion of which includes Asia.
- Demonstrated experience analyzing currency exchange rates and political activities in an international market segment, at least a portion of which includes Asia.
- Demonstrated experience identifying and managing the credit worthiness of vendors and customers in an international market segment, at least a portion of which includes Asia.
- Demonstrated experience using trading and final settlement software.
- Demonstrated experience with customs and practices of trading agricultural commodities in an international market segment, at least a portion of which includes Asia.
- Demonstrated experience establishing and maintaining relationships with government offices, agriculture departments and trade associations impacting the trading of agricultural commodities in an international market segment, at least a portion of which includes Asia.
- Demonstrated experience initiating and establishing local networks of vendors, transloaders or customers in domestic and international markets, including but not limited to Asia.
- 5 years+ progressive post-baccalaureate experience in a sales, marketing or merchandising position.
- 3 years+ initiating original business contacts in new market segments.
- 5 years+ experience developing established business leads in assigned markets.
- 3 years+ creating, implementing and evaluating strategic business unit marketing plans.
- 3 years+ managing multi-million dollar purchase or sales accounts.
- 3 years+ supervising purchasing or sales staff.
- 3 years+ negotiating and closing purchase or sales contracts.
- Be fluent in English.
Preferred Qualifications (if applicable)
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration or related field or equivalent industry experience.
- Preferably be able to conduct business in the language of the assigned markets.