Requisition Number 54292
Join our growing company and take your analytics career to the next level!
The primary purpose of the Data Analytics Consultant is to be a key Subject Matter Expert and contributor in the Internal Audit Services (IAS) team's continued enhancement of data analytics, data mining, and continuous auditing strategies and tactics in support of the audit charter. This role will complete all internal audit work in compliance with established audit methodology while meeting all organizational and professional ethical standards.
Key ResponsibilitiesPerformance of Analytics
- Develop and leverage subject matter expertise in the: knowledge of Assurant’s data environment; ability to access and analyze data; use of analytical tools; and ability to interpret, visualize and communicate results.
- Provide both advisory and execution support in audits by identifying, developing, documenting, or executing audit analytics during all relevant stages of an audit.
- Perform data mining and analysis to facilitate the identification and communication of outliers and trends in the business.
- Design and execute standalone Data Analytics audit projects as warranted in support of department objectives.
- Assist auditors in obtaining necessary data for audits. Identify, develop and maintain continuous auditing/monitoring activities.
- Provide additional support on audits or other IAS initiatives when necessary.
- Assist in, and sometimes lead, department initiatives to review and improve department processes, tools and methodologies related to the use of Data Analytics.
- Assist in, and sometimes lead, developing and implementing department training that is related to data analytics and data analytics programs.
- Mentor colleagues and provide training on professional standards, best practices, tools and strategies for personal and department success
Business Knowledge, Technical Knowledge and Individual Development
- Actively learn and apply mature and emerging technical knowledge gained through professional development opportunities, including external and internal training.
- Actively seek to build and apply business knowledge to complement technical expertise in design and performance of analytical procedures.
The role does not include direct managerial responsibilities. However, it does require the ability to provide guidance and direction to audit teams or individuals as they work to advance the relevance and complexity of data analytics in their audits.
Three years of experience with the following:
- Advanced application of data analytics techniques and tools in a complex business environment, including the application of general statistical concepts against large volumes of data.
- Collecting and analyzing complex data, evaluating information and drawing logical conclusions.
- Data access, analysis and visualization tools, such as Alteryx, Tableau, Excel, Access, MS-SQL, Oracle, SAS, R, Python, PLSQL Developer, and Microsoft BI.
- Accessing and analyzing data in environments such as SAS, SQL, Oracle and AS400.
BS/BA degree from an accredited college or university preferably in Management Information Systems, Data Science, Statistics, Business, Management, Accounting, Finance or related field.
Ability to travel domestically up to 20% to provide coverage to multiple IAS locations and to participate in department meetings. International travel would be rare, but not out of the question as needs arise.
Other Requirements and Preferred Qualifications
Experience in the following:
- Financial services or insurance industry data.
- Performing data analytics in an Internal Audit or Compliance environment.
- Applying fraud discovery techniques during design and execution of data analytics.
- Formal communications (written reports and oral) with all levels of staff and management, particularly the creation and maintenance of management reporting dashboards.
- Developing or maintaining a Continuous Auditing / Continuous Monitoring platform.
Master’sdegree in Data Science, Analytics,Statistics or MBA from an accredited college or universitypreferred
One or more related professional certifications in accounting or auditing (CPA, CIA, CISA, CFE, etc.) preferred
Demonstrated proficiency in the following abilities:
- Consider and apply statistical concepts during analysis of large volumes of business data.
- Extract, define and analyze complex data, and draw relevant conclusions in support of audit objectives.
- Proactively expand knowledge and understanding of technical environments through self-directed research, on-the-job experience, and professional networking.
- Write clearly to communicate relevant impact of analytic results.
- Document work performed to enable external re-performance.
- Think critically through recognizing assumptions, evaluating arguments and drawing conclusions.
- Maintain composure and deliver results while under pressure managing multiple assignments and priorities.
Preference will be given to those with the following skills:
- Ability to facilitate meetings and presentations.
- Ability to mentor and coach colleagues through influence to achieve team results.