Summary Job Description
The Director of Internal Communications for Prudential International Insurance (PII) will be responsible for driving the creation and execution of a new internal communications function to deliver high-impact communications strategies to connect U.S.-based and international associates to the business’ strategic priorities and improve overall engagement.
The scope of work includes content development, management and delivery for a wide variety of strategic and informational communications for PII associates in the U.S. and in more than a dozen international operations and joint ventures. Communications include news stories on PII regional and company activities, organizational announcements, M&A and deal communications, presentations, speaking points, video scripts, conference materials and project-specific communications, which are delivered through a variety of vehicles and platforms. The individual will also support the communications activities of PII senior leadership team members.
The Director will provide a full range of communications support through effective, proactive relationship management, superior writing capabilities and strong project management. He/she must be able to balance strategic thinking and international cultural sensitivity with flawless tactical execution.
Key early deliverables will be the formation of a cohesive governance framework and uniform processes/controls to ensure consistency, accuracy and timeliness of all communications, as well as the establishment of a new PII communications platform within PruVision, initially for U.S. associates with later expansion to international associates.
The Director will partner with PII functional areas including Marketing & Strategy, HR, Finance and Actuarial; communications team members in international operations; the chief of staff for the international business head; and Global Communications.
- Create and manage PII editorial calendar with key stakeholders including both sourcing and writing content
- Collaborate with international communications team members to produce and manage weekly news publication for PII international associates
- Produce and manage a new weekly communications vehicle to inform U.S.-based associates on a variety of news and information topics
- Create and manage governance framework for internal communications
- Manage implementation of new PII visual identity system
- Partner with community manager of PII’s business collaboration platform, PII Link, to manage content and ensure integration with other communications platforms
- Implement tools to track and measure communications effectiveness
- Take the lead in exploring new technology/media options to enhance distribution methods and improve engagement
- Assist in planning and executing large face-to-face meetings like town halls
- Support communications needs for annual international sales conference
- Partner with Global Communications to raise PII’s profile internally and collaborate on external messaging, thought leadership and events
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or similar discipline required
- At least 8-10 years demonstrated professional experience in corporate communications, setting internal communications strategy and executing a full range of communications activities
- Insurance industry or financial services experiencepreferred
- Strong business acumen with proven ability to connect business objectives and communications strategies
- Experience in providing strategic communications counsel to senior executives and demonstrated courage to challenge positions, express unpopular views and influence outcomes
- Ability to manage and drive multiple projects simultaneously through completion in a fast-paced environment
- Proven track record of developing and maintaining relationships with individuals at all organizational levels, with ability to influence others without direct authority
- Strong professional copywriting and editing skills for a variety of audiences and media
- Graphics/design capabilities a plus
- Keen attention to detail
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Word and PowerPoint, and familiarity with publishing software
- Experience working in a multi-cultural/multi-lingual/international environment strongly preferred
- Ability to travel to international business locations, about 5%