Internal Audit (IAD) provides independent and objective assessments of the effectiveness of risk management activities and the internal control environment. Reporting to the Vice President (VP) of Professional Practices Group (PPG), the Managing Director, IAD Data Analytics has responsibility for the oversight and execution of data analytics in the support of independent and objective assurance activities designed to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of the firm’s risk
management, control, and governance processes. This position is also responsible for overseeing the IAD Data Analytics team, liaising with the firm’s risk management functions, external co-sourcing provider, and data owners across technology and various lines of business.
What you’ll do:
- Strategic development, implementation, and improvement of the data analytics program as a key activity within IAD. Develop, maintain and deliver written procedures, standards and training on the execution of data analytics within internal audits and support non-assurance activities performed within the department (e.g., risk assessment, quality assurance and improvement program, and operations).
- Clear and concise communication of the data analytics strategy, goals, and status of the related efforts to VP of PPG, IAD senior leadership, business partners, and regulators.
- Analyze the Internal Audit Plan to develop, socialize, and execute on an Annual Data Analytics Plan, which includes the budgeting, scheduling, resourcing (both internal and co-source personnel) of data analytics projects related to integrated audits and continuous monitoring,
- Oversight and coordination of day-to-dayauditdata analytics projects including:
- Collaborating with internal audit teams and providing pertinent points of view to appropriately scope and execute data analytics focused on the most meaningful and relevant risks.
- Interpreting data, analyze results using statistical techniques and provide on-going reports
- Developing and implementing data collection systems and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and data quality.
- Facilitating the acquisition of data from primary or secondary data sources and maintaining databases/data systems for ongoing monitoring and analysis.
- Assisting internal team members in identifying, analyzing, and interpreting trends or patterns in complex data sets.
- Evaluating that appropriate filtering and “cleaning” of data as occurred, and reviewing analytic reports, and performance indicators to locate and correct code problems.
- Reviewing key internal audit work papers, including data analytics results, to ensure clear identification and communication of technology-related risks and issues prior to presentation to senior management.
- Coaching and training of IAD Data Analytics team members on performance in the execution of data analytics.
- Serving as the escalation point to internal stakeholders and external partners during the execution of data analytics, and facilitating the determination of the best course of action in resolution.
- Reporting on all data analytics activities across IAD to the VP of PPG and IAD senior management.
- Coordinate and oversee the work with a co-sourced team of internal audit IT professionals ensuring work is performed in accordance with IIA standards and is consistent with the department’s Charter and Policies and Procedures, and within allocated budgets and timelines.
- Maintain business relationships with peers across the organization ensuring Internal Audit is aware of key changes to business activities and objectives, and analytical technologies for appropriate response.
- Provide a thoughtful, analytics-based perspective and help oversee all parts of the internal audit program including, but not limited to, risk assessment, audit plan development, audit plan execution, continuous monitoring, and project reviews.
- Champion and promote the use of data analytics techniques to IAD senior management and internal audit teams to evaluate large data sets for trends and anomalies within internal audit assurance and support activities.
- Develop basic data analytics training and instruct broader IAD team members on appropriate application and execution of data analytics within internal audit assurance and support activities.
- Address issues during the internal audit data analytics process by gathering facts, developing potential solutions, determining the best solutions, and implementing an action plan to solve the problem.
- Adhere to firm and departmental data governance and management policies and procedures to ensure data quality and retention requirements are met.
What you have:
- 10+ years of data analytics and internal audit technology experience with increasing responsibility. Financial services and/or Big 4 Accountingexperience a plus.
- Demonstrated experience managing data analytics projects with multiple team members, within risk management or internal audits, amongst a complex operational and regulatory environment
- Comprehensive knowledge andexperiencemanaging and/or performing data analytics of the following areas is critical:
- Technical expertise regarding data models, database design development, data mining and segmentation techniques.
- Strong knowledge of and experience with data analytics and management technologies (Tableau, Alteryx, SAS, Python, R, Informatica, etc.), and databases management systems (SQL, Oracle, Teradata, etc.).
- Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analyzing large datasets.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Adept at queries, report writing and presenting findings.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, data analytics, or related field.
- CISA, CPA, CIA or other applicable certification preferred.
- Maintains an ongoing understanding of data analytics technologies and techniques to expand expertise in these areas and stays current on industry and regulatory issues and best practices; provides training on this knowledge to the team and the auditees.
- Cultivates strong working relationships with IAD management team members, internal lines of businesses, and external co-sourcing providers. Leverages relationships and insights to successfully influence others. Builds authentic and trusted relationships to create alignment and support.
- Thrives on initiating, building and cultivating strong relationships inside and outside advancing the goals and the future of the company; highly collaborative; comfortable with debate and willing to challenge the status quo; navigates and activates alignment across organizational silos and upward 2+ levels.