Golder has a new opportunity for an Intermediate Water Resource Modeler to join our Environmental Remediation and Water team in our Redmond, Washington, or Portland, Oregon office. Golder has developed numerous dynamic system models, primarily using the GoldSim software, for clients around the world to evaluate environmental impacts, assist operators with water management, evaluate regulatory compliance, and other considerations. Typical applications include an evaluation of water supply requirements under varying climate or production scenarios; water quality/environmental impact assessments; risk analyses/uncertainty evaluations; design alternatives comparisons; water treatment studies; and mine closure studies/financial assurance evaluations.
Responsibilities of the role will include:
- Developing and reviewing conceptual models and basis-of-design documents.
- Site visits to understand the layout and connections of the system that is being modeled.
- Developing, reviewing, and leading GoldSim water balance and water quality models for the mining, municipal water, and oil and gas industries.
- Writing and reviewing technical reports.
- Presenting and discussing the technical report material with clients (and possibly stakeholders).
- Planning and managing projects and participating in client meetings.
- Performing (either in a lead or supporting role) business development activities, including client contact/presentations, proposal writing, and professional society participation.
- Serving as an technical resource to provide guidance/review to help ensure technical quality within Golder as well as mentoring to junior-level Golder staff.
- Collaborating with multi-disciplinary teams to complete environmental impact assessments for large mining operations.
- Managing priorities to support multiple projects with competing .
- Bachelor’s degree (post-graduate preferred) in engineering, environmental science, geochemistry, or related field of study (water resources background is preferred, but not required).
- Minimum of five-years of GoldSim model development experience, ideally in mine water management as an environmental consultant. Preference will be given to candidates with experience building GoldSim-based water quality models in addition to water balance models.
- Experienced with Monte Carlo Simulation.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (including making presentations, leading discussions, technical documentation, proposal/report writing, etc.), including English fluency.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word/Excel.
- Good attention to detail, with the ability to quickly recognize significant discrepancies and logic errors.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Willing and able to listen, quickly learn, assimilate information, and adapt.
- Strong work ethic and integrity.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Willing and able to travel occasionally (including , typically less than one-week ).
- Experience using surface water, groundwater, water quality, or other modelling software.
- Experience interpreting hydrological and climate data or water quality data.
- Experience using hydrological models (e.g., rainfall-runoff models) or water quality models (e.g., WASP, CE-QUAL-W2, HSPE, etc.).
- Strong data management and analysis skills using Microsoft Excel, ArcGIS, MODFLOW, R, Python, Microsoft Access, EQUIS, etc.
- Experience with mine water quantity and quality issues and contaminant load balance modeling.
- Previous Health and Safety training, such as MSHA preferred.
- Submittal of a cover letter with your application is appreciated
Your benefits at Golder will include:
- Competitive benefits and remuneration packages
- Opportunity to deepen your expertise in a dynamic work environment;
- Innovative and collaborative multidisciplinary projects; and,
- On the job training, mentoring, and coaching.
Renowned for technical excellence, Golder is a leading, global engineering and consulting firm with over a half century of successful service to its clients. With over 165 offices in over 40 countries, Golder’s 7,000 professionals are driven by a passion to deliver results, offering unique specialized skills to address the ever-evolving challenges that earth, environment and energy present to clients across the infrastructure, mining, oil and gas, manufacturing, and power sectors.