Sony Pictures Imageworks, an industry leading Animation studio located in Culver City Los Angeles, is seeking a Systems Engineer. Systems Engineering is responsible for first- and second-level support of 300+ users in a dynamic, high-performance production environment. The job demands astute and critical thinking coupled with Windows and Linux systems engineering to develop solutions for a unique industry combining high performance computing with digital artistry and storytelling. You will participate in projects utilizing new technologies in the areas of large-scale systems administration and engineering including building, configuring, installing, deploying and supporting workstations, servers and large scale storage systems. We are building a high performance global digital workflow for animation production and this is a great opportunity to work on technically challenging projects in a very creative work environment comprised of talented engineers and artists.
Primary areas of responsibility will include:
- Installation, deployment and maintenance of hardware, operating systems and software
- Initiation of and participation in departmental and site-wide engineering projects.
- Specification, documentation and communication of requirements for engineering tasks across the enterprise.
- Technical assistance to a wide range of end users in a customer-service oriented organization.
- Mentoring and advising on best practices for Systems Engineering personnel throughout the department.
- After hours, holiday and weekend support on-call 24/7 as scheduled in rotation with other engineers.
The successful candidate possesses
- Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written. This includes the ability to provide thorough written documentation.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to perform as an individual and on a team.
- Scripting and programming abilities that maximize efficiency in daily tasks.
- Self-guided triage and follow-through skills to best respond to assigned duties.
Education, Skills & Certifications:
- Degree in Computer Science or in a related field. Significant industry experience may be substituted.
- Four to six years experience in a large, high-performance technical computing site.
- Three years experience in installation, deployment and maintenance of Red Hat Enterprise Linux workstations and servers.
- Three years experience in installation, deployment and maintenance of Windows 10 workstations and servers (including AD)
- Experience in supporting mission-critical systems to ensure high availability.
- Excellent working knowledge of Python, and the ability to write small C programs.
- Extensive networking experience with TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, LDAP and other directory services, used across local and wide-area/metro-area networks of varying topologies.
- Hands-on experience with large-scale backup solutions and storage technologies.
- Direct experience with multi-terabyte Netapp (or other) NAS installations is a plus.