Why join us?
SNC-Lavalin provides cutting-edge engineering, procurement, construction and financing solutions to projects in more than 100 countries around the world. From the Canadian Arctic to the Southern African region and Australasia, our multicultural workforce is driven by a fierce pride in their work and a pioneering vision.
SNC-Lavalin is truly a global leader in its field and has been chosen to design and build some of the most prestigious projects in the world.
The Substation Electrical Engineer is required to work within a multi-discipline team to develop design packages for high voltage substations and distribution network. The Station Electrical Engineer will coordinate his/her design activities to maintain project schedules and ensure successful project completion. The Electrical Engineer will also assist the estimating team in preparation of conceptual designs, estimates and project proposals.
This position is accountable to provide all design activities in accordance with applicable Codes and Standards, including all of SNC-Lavalin’s policies and procedures, such as Safety, Environmental, Quality Assurance and Quality Control.
How will you contribute to the team?
To perform this role successfully, the individual will be responsible for but not limited to the following:
- Prepare conceptual Design of the complex projects.
- Develop high voltage substation site and bus work layouts, ground grid drawings, plot plans and elevation drawings for outdoor high voltage substation equipment.
- Develop Switchgear room and Control room layout drawings for high voltage substation projects.
- Develop underground cable routing, conduit and trench plan layout and sections for high voltage substation and distribution network.
- Perform estimates using data from the utility material database.
- Develop/review technical specifications, drawings and standards of equipment/projects.
- Prepare Power Single Line Diagram, Relay and Metering One-line diagram.
- Prepare AC three-line diagram, Elementary Schematics and Wiring diagrams.
- Prepare Bills of Materials and Cable Schedules.
- Senior designer will guide and supervise the team of designers and drafters to ensure quality of drawings is maintained.
- Senior designer will perform peer reviews of the drawings prepared by designers & drafters for compliance to utility CADD Standards.
- Review the design basis memorandum and detailed engineering scope and guide the assigned discipline engineers to align the engineering deliverables according to project requirements
- Work closely with peers and other discipline designers to ensure accurate delivery that will meet utility Standards, industry standards and meet good engineering practices, policies and procedures.
- Maintain complete project documentation with respect to all design packages.
- Maintain good working relationship with internal groups that support the project.
What will you contribute?
- A degree in Electrical Engineering Technology from a recognized Institution.
- A minimum of 8-10 years strong experience as a Designer in the field of high voltage transmission and Distribution substation is considered to have gained the required experience for the position.
- Good knowledge of North American codes and standards such as CSA, IEEE and ANSI.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Bentley MicroStation, ProjectWise and Electronic Document Management Systems is a must.
- Experience in BC Hydro high voltage substation design and Standards.
- Strong knowledge of grounding and lightning shielding system, rigid and strain bus calculations.
- Experience in sizing of major equipment and selection of high voltage substation material.
- A Professional Engineer registered (or eligible for registration) with APEGA (Alberta) or EGBC (British Columbia).
- Good written and verbal communication skills.