J.D. Irving, Limited is a diverse family owned company with operations in Canada and the United States. Since 1882 our focus has been on providing quality products and superior service to customers around the world. Our head offices are in Saint John and Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada. J.D. Irving, Limited is made up of a diverse group of companies with business units in:
- Construction & Equipment
- Consumer Products
- Forestry and Forestry Products
- Retail and Distributions
- Shipbuilding and Industrial Fabrication
- Transportation and Logistics
Our growth is driven by a set of consistent fundamental values through the years:
- Uncompromising quality in making products and committed service to our valued customers
- An unwavering focus on continuous improvement and innovation in our diverse businesses
- A responsibility to make a positive difference in our communities, where we are proud to live and work, as well as to the health of the land, air and water that sustains our world
JDI IT : Who we are and what we offer
The belief that what people experience matters more than technology is part of our foundational core. We also believe that our ability as a team grows exponentially when we share success. These centering values – some of our non negotiables - guide our decisions and inform how we show up daily. Join a team that aims to simply the path forward and inspire commitment.
With over 300 employees centralized in Saint John, Fredericton, Dieppe and Halifax, we offer the opportunity to create real value by helping people and businesses work smarter. JDI IT supports the entire J.D. Irving Limited group of companies which means we offer opportunities and experiences across a wide breadth of IT areas, businesses and industries. As a member of the JDI IT team, you will be a key player in enabling the business to win by overcoming obstacles and “getting it done”!
We believe in the power of diverse teams and invest in continuous professional growth. We are seeking naturally curious change makers looking to join a collaborative and motivated team. Come help JDI IT Raise the Bar!
We are looking for a driven, focused and collaborative Database Administrator in Saint John, Moncton or Fredericton, N.B.
Reporting to the Team Lead, Database Administration, the Intermediate Database Administrator is a key member of the JDI IT team supporting the J.D. Irving group of companies in the creation, maintenance and changes to key organizational data.
- Assist in production promotion by running scripts; follow change management processes
- Maintain and strive to increase own technical knowledge, and is aware of latest developments in own area of expertise.
- Provide ongoing maintenance of databases while participating in on-call support rotation
- Solve straightforward, well defined problems within technology of expertise
- Assist in providing Tier II application support, ensuring issues resolutions are well documented
- Create work instructions for Tier I & II support
- Understand how own tasks and activities connect with related technologies
- Raise issues where specifications need clarification due to quality of requirements or application technical constraints
- Understand the importance of security to the enterprise
- Provide clear and timely communication to the customers and managers on the status of tasks especially when the task cannot be completed in the established time frame
- Understand Daily Management processes and Database metrics
- Actively seek to increase skills level through coaching and mentoring from more seasoned DBAs
- A University degree in Computer Science, College Diploma, or equivalent experience
- 3-5 years of demonstrated experience working with SQL Server, including performance tuning and index Analysis.
- Knowledge of security best practices, relational data modelling.
- Experience with SQL Server high availability and disaster recovery configurations including SQL Always On, mirroring and log shipping
- Experience supporting SQL databases in Azure
- Detail focused; thinking within a technical dimension typically at the database level
- A practiced communicator, able to efficiently connect with senior leadership on complex technical issues and topics
- A collaborator who is also able to initiate and pursue independent work
- Highly organized; managing your time and prioritizing your work comes naturally
- Able to perform research and write technical documents
- Ability to work effectively on individual task and as part of a collaborative team,
- Support Wide scope of technologies.
A few more things we would consider assets:
- MCSA Certification
- Experience with other RDMS or data solutions (Oracle, Sybase MySQL, Postgres, Unstructured/Semi-Structured)
- Automation experience, particularly in Powershell
- Experience with SSIS, SSRS & SSAS
- Experience installing and maintaining software on a Linux server
- Experience installing and maintaining software on a Windows server
- Programming experience in any language using SQL to accessing databases
We appreciate your interest in our company! Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.