VHB, a nationally recognized leader in design, is seeking an Intelligent Transportation Systems Project Engineer to join its growing Transportation Technology Group in New England. Project work will focus on the planning, design and constructionsupport of Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) and connected and automated vehicle (CAV) infrastructure including power and communications systems.
VHB’s passionate professionals include engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with public and private clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Together, we work to improve mobility, enhance communities and economic vitality, and balance development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- Work within a team of professionals to develop design plans and specifications for a variety of Intelligent Transportation Systems and communication equipment & infrastructure
- Planning and development of ITS and CAV projects and infrastructure including preparing documents that follow the FHWA Systems Engineering Process
- Design ITS equipment and communications infrastructure including fiber optic and wireless technologies, CCTV, Dynamic Message Signs, and sensor technologies
- Perform other engineering field work (field equipment testing, utility and infrastructure verification, i.e. taking measurements and pictures at field sites)
- Writing technical reports and memoranda
Skills and Abilities
- Strong civil or electrical engineering background
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to think critically
- Excel in working in a team environment
- Ability to read and comprehend design and construction specifications and plans
- Ability/willingness to work outdoors on occasion on highway job sites and uneven terrain
- AutoCAD and/or Microstation
- MS Office suite
- BS in Civil or Electrical Engineering
- 7+ years of relevant professional experience in ITS/Technology Transportation
- Valid driver’s license, good driving record, and ability/willingness to travel on occasion
- Experience with ITS equipment and/or communications systems (cellular, fiber, wireless)
- Interest in working across multiple disciplines concurrently with a diversity of assignments
- PE preferred