This position will provide legal advice, counsel and services on all of the intellectual property (IP) needs of the business. This position is responsible for identifying and helping minimize IP-related risks by delivering proactive legal support services that promote business development through practical solutions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify and analyze legal issues and present clear recommendations.
- Provide strategic counsel regarding the competitive IP landscape for the company’s current product portfolio and future technology plans.
- Work directly with the R&D Department to identify and protect IP assets.
- Evaluate inventions to determine patentability and advise on patent filing strategy.
- Ensure close cross-collaboration with internal teams in implementing the company’s pipeline growth and long-term commercialization strategy, such that IP considerations are taken into account.
- Drafting, negotiating, interpreting and advising clients on IP-related agreements, such as license agreements and product development agreements, and IP provisions in commercial agreements.
- Manage the company’s trademark portfolio.
- Work directly with the Vice President of Corporate Development and Intellectual Property in connection with strategic IP matters.
- Advise on trade secret protections.
- Advise and actively participate in the development of procedures, practices and systems that ensure protection of IP assets of the company.
- Assist with IP issues on transactions such as mergers, acquisitions, strategic investments and collaborative development projects.
- Assess potential liability risks to company and provide legal advice in connection therewith.
- Manage and provide oversight to outside IP counsel.
- Manage IP-related litigation.
- Participate on teams or internal corporate activities beyond specific legal area of responsibility, such as process improvements and policy formation.
- Monitor, identify and report on IP laws, policies, trends, and positions being taken by governments, opinion leaders, non-government organizations, etc. that could affect the company’s IP positioning or global businesses.
- Other duties designated by the General Counsel from time to time.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required for Successful Job Performance:
- Degree from an accredited law school of recognized standing
- License to practice law in Minnesota
- 7+ years of relevant IP legal experience in a corporate law department and/or private practice (device, pharmaceutical and/or biotechnology preferred)
- Undergraduate and/or advanced degree in science or engineering
- Experience advising companies in the medical device industry
- Demonstrated ability and desire to work collaboratively in a team environment