General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world's leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) is a supplier of advanced electromagnetic systems, related power equipment and other high technology products for a variety of government and commercial applications. These include products such as the design and fabrication of linear motors, superconducting and conventional rotating motors, power inverters, high-energy capacitors, radiation monitoring systems, high-voltage direct current power distribution systems, and numerous other products.
We currently have an exciting opportunity within our Aerospace Systems Engineering group an Integrated Avionics Lead Engineer to support a missile system development program. The Integrated Avionics Lead will work from our Huntsville, AL location supporting the Chief Engineer, and working closely with the Systems Engineering, Integration, and Test (SEIT) Lead, through all development phases of the missile system. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBITIES:
- Supports the Chief Engineer by coordinating and providing day-to-day technical oversight for the design and development of the integrated avionics which includes the Guidance, Navigation, and Control functions as well as communications, flight computer, power, and flight software.
- Supports the program manager and chief engineer by providing technical oversight to subcontractors and suppliers.
- Interfaces with the SEIT team routinely to support requirements development, design trade studies, and performance analyses, specialty engineering, integration, and test activities.
- Acts, in coordination with the Chief Engineer and SEIT Lead, as a key technical interface for the missile system to government customers, General Atomics leadership/management, and other partners.
- Supports planning, budgeting, and status of tasks and activities.
- Supports Risk and Opportunity Management including ownership of some, or all, risks/opportunities associated with the Integrated Avionics.
- Facilitates rapid resolution of technical delays that impact tasks including real-time, thorough communication with the Chief Engineer, SEIT Lead, program management and other IPT Leads as required.
- Collaborates daily with GA and customer engineering and program management teams.
- Support the development of statements-of-work (SOWs) and technical requirements documents for subcontractors.
- Provides documentation and makes technical presentations as required.
- Support development, review, and editing of technical documents as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; nine or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, seven or more years of experience with a masters degree, or four or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Electrical or Aerospace Engineering degree is preferred.
- Experience designing guidance, navigation, and control subsystems for weapon systems is highly desired.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
- Demonstrates a detailed and extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice with the ability to organize, plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones with some experience in project leadership.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills to effectively interface with other departments, customers, government representatives, and/or professionals; the capability of representing the organization as a prime technical contact; and, the ability to provide leadership and guidance to less experienced professionals.
- Must be customer focused and able to work on a self- initiated basis or in a team environment.
- Able to work extended hours and travel as required.
- Travel expectation: 25%
- US Citizenship is required.
- Active DoD Secret Security Clearance is required, along with the ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Top Secret Security Clearance if needed.