This position within the Internet Planning and Design group will provision and upgrade enterprise data services, support field teams in pre- and post- sales activities, meet deadlines, and take care of our customers internal and external. This position could sit in any RCN/ Grande / Wave market locations or for the right candidate work remotely.
- IP Network Design, Configuration and Optimization:
- Create, review and document router, switch, and link configurations based on standards and plans
- Create, review and disseminate project justifications, diagrams, and other plan/proposal documents
- Problem Solving - IP traffic analysis and traffic engineering, fault identification and solution.
- Evaluate new technologies, techniques and products.
- Implement new product offerings and enhancements
- Optimize network security, route-policy, traffic management and hardware utilization
2 . IP Infrastructure Project Management
- Business Services customer support installation provisioning and support
- Manage all aspects of new infrastructure implementation and upgrades
- Hands-on configuration and activation of network devices and links.
- Represent RCN as technical point-of-contact for external network relationships (BGP) with vendors, peers, and customers.
- Effective task-based management of field-staff and vendors
- Focus on execution and deadlines
- Perform off-hours (24 x 7) work for maintenance work or outage management
3. Ongoing IP Network Operational Support
- Continuous monitoring and analysis of network performance.
- Identification of network challenges; research and implementation of solutions.
- Robust and thorough handling of issues escalated from response engineering staff.
- 24 x 7 Rotating On-call Participation
Requirements, Competencies and Skills:
- High School or GED required, additional education preferred
- At least three years' technical experience in a production environment at an Internet service provider, telecommunications carrier, network service provider, or equivalent consulting experience.
- Experience serving business customers in a customer-facing or customer-supporting role.
- Experience in design, configuration and upgrade of network elements
- In-depth experience with routing protocols (BGP, OSPF, ISIS, RIP) and route-policy modification
- Working knowledge of capacity and traffic management techniques in a WAN environment
- Working knowledge of network security
- Ability to plan, track, and manage multiple projects
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Configuration of WAN routers, LAN and WAN switches and various telecommunications devices
- Hands-on work experience with WAN/LAN internet working
- Effective user-level UNIX and PC skills
- WAN Circuit provisioning and troubleshooting
- Thorough understanding of routing and IP transport
- IP application protocol knowledge (SMTP, POP, FTP, HTTP, DNS, etc)
- LAN media, protocols, and switching (Gigabit Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, etc)
- Experience with Spanning Tree Protocol
- Experience in a DOCSIS cable environment a plus.
- Professional maturity
- Strong work ethic and positive attitude