The Dallas Staff Counsel office of GEICO is seeking to hire a mid-level attorney, in good standing, with a minimum of 1 year of experience handling personal injury cases or 2 years of general litigation experience. Experience in the state of Texas is required.
Primary Position Objectives:
Under general supervision, defends lawsuits against GEICO insured's and represents GEICO in subrogation, Uninsured Motorist (UM) and Underinsured Motorist (UIM), and PIP lawsuits filed in courts of limited jurisdiction and, in the discretion of the Managing Attorney, in courts of unlimited jurisdiction.
1. Researches law and prepares legal briefs, opinions, and memoranda.
2. Renders legal opinions on liability, damages, and value as requested by the Claims Department.
3. Prepares and handles pleadings, motions, and discovery, to include depositions/examinations before trial and examinations under oath.
4. Defends by trial, arbitration, or mediation all matters assigned, as applicable.
5. Meets deadlines to respond to pleadings and correspondence.
6. Adheres to the GEICO Code of Conduct, company policies and operating principles.
7. Meets attendance standard of the business location, to perform necessary job functions and to facilitate interaction with management and co-workers.
8. Meets the requirements specified below.
- Must be able, with or without accommodation, to perform the essential functions which include, but are not limited to, thinking (concentrating, focusing, assimilating information), reading, writing, listening, typing, speaking, bending, reaching, lifting, and standing for extended periods.
- Must be able to travel as required, including but not limited, to attend trials, hearings, depositions, management meetings and conferences.
- Must be able to use a keyboard and a mouse.
- Must be able to access and utilize multiple pieces of office equipment that may require simultaneous use.
- Must be able to communicate in a professional manner in person, via telephone and written correspondence/email.
- Must be able to document files in a clear, concise, professional written manner, to be understood by customers, clients, co-workers and other employees of the organization.
- Must be able to follow complex instructions, resolve conflicts or facilitate conflict resolution, and have strong organization/priority setting and multi-tasking skills.
- Must be able to learn and apply large amounts of technical and procedural information.
- Must have the following education and experience:
- Must be licensed in good standing to practice law in applicable jurisdictions, and meet and maintain licensing requirements including mandatory Continuing Legal Education (CLE) requirements where applicable.
- Minimum of one year of insurance defense or personal injury litigation experience or two years litigation experience (Attorneys must be a grade 66 attorney for one year to be promoted into the grade 67 position).