At Woodard & Curran, there’s nothing we love more than a tough engineering challenge. We handle a wide range of water and environmental issues—solving complex problems with creativity and tenacity. That’s how we make a difference to our clients, people, and planet. Our company was founded on a simple concept: provide a safe and enjoyable place to work with opportunity, integrity, and commitment, and we will attract talented people. Those people are at the heart of our firm, solving some of the most pressing water and environmental challenges for our clients.
Who are we Looking for?
We are seeking an experienced instrumentation and controls design engineer and technical manager for the role of Discipline Leader in Woodard & Curran’s Technical Delivery Group. The successful candidate must be proficient and experienced in leading and executing instrumentation and controls design projects. As part of our team, the candidate will be asked to support several different business units and engineering practices, project managers, design teams and projects across the country serving various markets including industrial, municipal and institutional facilities, water, industrial and municipal wastewater infrastructure, industrial utilities, manufacturing, and commercial projects.
This position requires a balance of leading and managing people, work, and market support:
- People duties include leading and managing a discipline team of 5 – 10 staff, including workload, performance and utilization; leveling resources and managing project conflicts; technical guidance, mentoring, staff training, education and development; staff recruiting and hiring; and identifying and engaging external resources as needed.
- Work duties include performing technical design work of significant difficulty and complexity, working independently on projects, developing and overseeing technical standards and project execution, resolving design conflicts, managing the technical delivery and execution of work to the scope, schedule, and budget; implementing quality assurance/quality control standards and performing such functions to ensure accuracy and adequacy of project deliverables, and identifying efficiency improvement opportunities and innovative work approaches.
- Market duties include serving as the primary point of contact for new project inquiries, participating in project proposal pursuit decisions where applicable, supporting proposal development, developing budgets for proposals and projects, and supporting business development efforts within the Practices; engaging in the market and remaining current with industry standards through conferences, presentations, publications, and/or professional association participation.
What will you be doing at Woodard & Curran?
- Demonstrate a high level of proficiency and be recognized as a subject matter expert in instrumentation and controls design.
- Act as the technical lead for projects, including having interaction related to all technical tasks associated with the project or delegates that responsibility to a senior team member.
- Determine technical approach for specific project tasks.
- Perform QA/QC function on projects executed by staff.
- Work closely with Project Managers to deliver project tasks within scope, schedule, and budget.
- Obtain training to maintain or stay ahead of industry practices or to expand areas of technical expertise.
- Participate in a professional societies or associations.
- Maintain professional licensure and continuing education requirements to act as the engineer in charge for projects executed by their team.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to internal and/or external clients.
- Foster and maintains one-on-one relationships with key internal and/or external clients.
- Communicate effectively with senior management, peers and team members.
- Provide mentoring in area(s) of expertise to junior and project level staff.
- Advocate training and technical development for team members.
- Work to distribute workload to all staff, maintain utilization of team members in the best interest of the company, including participation in weekly/bi-weekly project scheduling meetings, maintaining a master projects schedule, and workload projections to support business and project planning.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide assessments of existing facilities and define scope tasks for control system upgrades due to obsolete equipment or project related process improvements.
- Produce project engineering man-hour estimates and construction estimates.
- Responsible for the execution of preliminary design, which includes, but not limited to: site investigation, development of assessment report/design basis report documentation and pricing, conducting conceptual design review meetings, and presentation of findings to the client.
- Responsible for control system detailed design, including industrial network design and SCADA control panel design, including SCADA components selection and sizing.
- Instrument specification, instrument data sheet creation, and instrument selection.
- Produce I&C technical specifications for bid and construction packages.
- Produce I&C drawing packages for bid and construction packages. Drawings include, but not limited to, network architecture diagrams, instrumentation layouts, instrumentation cabling block diagrams, control panel drawings, termination detail drawings, loop sheets, and instrument installation drawings.
- Develop instrumentation lists and I/O lists.
- Contribute to P&ID’s with ISA instrumentation designations.
- Perform multiple projects at the same time.
- Coordinate with other engineering disciplines throughout the project cycle.
What will you need to succeed?
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical, Chemical, Industrial or other applicable engineering field.
- 15 years of related experience in a technical position.
- PE registration in multiple states preferred. Candidate must be willing to obtain registration in states where new projects are located as needed. Candidate with an existing NCEES Council Record is preferred.
- Demonstrated skills and abilities required of a senior-level technical expert.
- Experience with large multidisciplinary projects within the markets indicated.
- Ability to work independently or in a team atmosphere.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills, attention to detail.
- Able to effectively interact with design team members, customers, service technicians, field personnel, sales and office staff.
- Possesses strong verbal, written, analytical, persuasion and interpersonal skills.
- Able to consistently set goals and meet deadlines and adapt to flexible responsibilities.