Instrumentation & Controls Automation Engineer
Less than 5 years experience • Building Materials
Job Title: Automation Engineer
Job Location: Nashville, AR & Cody, WY (2 Posiitons availlable)
Job Type: Permanent Full-Time
- The Automation Engineer* II will assist with the development and implementation of World Class Manufacturing (WCM) projects, production, processing methods and controls in a manner consistent with CertainTeed Gypsum Vision, Mission, Values and Objectives (VMVO). Through the application of engineering fundamentals and advances process control tools, this position will ensure that processes are centered, capable and in control; reduce process variations; and resolve special causes variation. This position will also provide leadership in the implementation and support of plant automation, electrical and database systems. Six sigma exp/ lean manufacturing exp preferred.
- Reports directly to the Engineering Manager.
- Responsible for planning, evaluating, organizing and implementing automation related projects and initiatives.
- Responsibilities include designing or developing new process control systems and revising / maintaining of existing processes; developing and implementing WCM projects; managing and guiding contractors, consultants and suppliers; identifying new opportunities and solutions with cost / benefit analysis and making recommendations to improve efficiencies.
- Responsible for managing equipment and labor costs within the department’s budget.
- Provides input into planning and scheduling of projects and preparing capital expenditures.
- Interacts with managers and supervisors at plant and corporate personnel to secure appropriate resources to plan and implement controls projects.
- Interacts with consultants and suppliers to determine the compatibility of other systems and products as they may apply to WCM and Controls.
- Works closely with the Production and Engineering Managers to coordinate changes in the production process and resolve equipment malfunctions.
- Manages automation related projects and provides weekly status report to plant management.
- Participates in Focus Improvement teams to resolve critical process and production problems with customers and vendors.
- Develops and maintains PLC/HMI systems from the plant floor to management and financial levels.
- Provides technical support and enhancement of automation related systems (PLC / HMI / VFD / Instrumentation / Data and Voice Networks / plant electricaldistribution systems) and implements required updates to avoid technical obsolescence.
- Ensures CertainTeed Gypsum’s standards of safety, quality and reliability are built into power distribution and control systems.
- Assists maintenance team with any difficult troubleshooting issues.
- Uses advanced tools / techniques to reduce process variations and downtime.
- Identifies and resolves special cause variation in the process.
- Analyzes operating problems, develops solutions and leads the implementation of corrective actions.
- Collects, interprets and extrapolates data from the production process to monitor current equipment performance against established baselines and applies appropriate correction actions.
- Develops and maintains standard operating procedures and work instructions.
- Maintains records of plant and individual equipment performance.
- Ensures full documentation of all projects and systems to WCM / Early Equipment Management (EEM) standards.
- Prepares and maintains data sheets, wiring and Process &Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID) and flow charts required for the proper and efficient operation of plant equipment.
- Provides training for operators and maintenance personnel.
- Assures good housekeeping practices following 5S systems, enforces plant rules and safety regulations, and supports VMVO and WCM initiatives.
- Continuously evaluates workplace for safety concerns and ensures behavioral safety initiatives are performed to goal levels.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as needed and / or requested by management.
- May consult with and/or assist other CertainTeed Gypsum North American plants on issues.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s Degree in electricalengineering or similar discipline or equivalent experience.
- Three to five (3-5) years of applied professional experience in Instrumentation & Controls (I&C) / PLC.
- Previous experience in electrical process control, instrumentation, automation, industrial protocols / networking (switching & routing) and databases.
- Understanding of integrated automation and information systems in a manufacturing environment.
- Understanding of National Electrical Code (NEC) and Arc-Flash (NFPA-70E) code requirements.
- Flexible, open-minded team player with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem solving capabilities to work effectively in corporate, manufacturing and team environments.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
PREFERRED OR DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience in gypsum technology and process.
- Proficient in AutoCAD Electrical.
- In conjunction with the Engineering Manager, control expenses due to electrical, I&C, materials and labor to meet yearly budget.
- Prepares capital expenditures and provides technical and budgetary input for the purpose of planning and scheduling projects.
- Works in a manufacturing plant environment with limited HVAC, concrete floors, and exposure to industrial noise, dust, chemicals and temperature changes. Normal plant operation is 24 hours, 7 days a week and work hours may vary depending on business needs. May require long hours, and weekend and holiday work. May require travel by air and rental cars.
- Must be able to spend a significant amount of time on plant floor. Job includes tasks that require walking, bending, twisting, gripping, stair and ladder climbing, entering confined spaces, navigating rough terrain and occasional lifting of up to 75 lbs. Job may require long periods of sitting, walking, standing, working on a computer or engaging in telephone conversation. Must be capable of wearing personal protective equipment necessary to comply with government and company safety standards whenever engineered methods of reducing hazards or physical requirements cannot be reasonably accommodated.