General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world's leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We currently have an exciting and challenging opportunity for an experienced Instrumentation and Control engineer to join our DIII-D (National Fusion Facility) program in San Diego, CA. With limited direction, this position exercises considerable latitude for initiating and developing designs, procedures, techniques and solutions to resolving advanced technical engineering problems. Candidate will provide engineering, design, and integration acumen to several new and existing systems that operate the DIII-D Tokamak, which is the largest operating fusion device in the U.S.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
In addition to the specific duties outlined above the candidate should have a good grasp of the following activities:
- Read schematics of unfamiliar control circuitry and interpret the intended functions
- Design new control circuits and modifications to existing systems based on requirements
- Test and troubleshoot electrical and electronic controls on the bench and in the field.
- Analyze, model and troubleshoot various instruments, sensors and controls used throughout the system.
- Recommend improvements to existing equipment to increase reliability or capability as required.
- Lead design and integration efforts associated with new capabilities; these could involve controls, instrumentation, data acquisition systems, etc.
- Troubleshooting, analyzing and repairing systems in assigned areas by utilizing standard engineering practices
- Programming programmable logic controllers (PLCs) and the ability to assist with PLC control systems throughout the facility
- Utilizing circuit simulation software to model circuits
- Utilizing script languages to program commercial devices
- Obtaining and analyzing test data to improve understanding of system function and to expedite troubleshooting
- Developing appropriate documentation of findings and implemented solutions, making technical presentations as required
- Assisting less experienced professional staff, providing mentoring as necessary.
- Responsibility for personnel safety of his/her own working group as well as others interacting with its equipment
- Utilizing a standard set of electrical engineering skills to lead projects and provide overall guidance to the development of new systems
- Assisting with resource planning, scheduling and budgeting for operations, maintenance, refurbishments and upgrades of systems under his/her responsibility
- An understanding of multi-disciplinary concepts (e.g. mechanical, fluids, gases, vacuum, and cryogenics) to aid in troubleshooting existing systems and in the installation of new systems
- Flexibility in work hours as necessary to cover extended operation days and when emergency repairs are needed to recover from failures
- Responsibility for observing all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company
- Working in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Typically requires a Bachelor's Degree, Master's Degree or PhD in Engineering or a related technical field and progressively complex engineering experience as follows; six or more years' experience with a Bachelor's Degree, four or more years' experience with a Master's degree, and two or more years' experience with a PhD. May substitute equivalent experience in lieu of education.
- Able to demonstrate extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice with the ability to organize, plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones with some experience in project leadership.
- Must posses the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment.
- Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required enabling an effective interface with other departments and/or professionals. Must be capable of representing the organization as a prime technical contact, as well as providing leadership and guidance to less experienced professionals.
- Ability to formulate plans based on the development of innovative new designs in resolving advanced technical engineering problems.
- Must be able to work both independently and in a team environment and to work extended hours as required. A Professional Engineering License, original work(s) published in professional engineering journals, and having been invited to present one or more original works at an engineering symposium are desirable.
- Programmable Logic Controllers
- Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition Systems
- Troubleshooting unfamiliar systems and reading schematics
- Script based languages
- Demonstrated experience in leading groups or teams