Affiliated Engineers, Inc. is a leading US-based multi-disciplinary consulting engineering firm that plans, designs, and delivers high performance engineered systems for technically complex buildings and utility infrastructure projects. Nationally and internationally, AEI specializes in the healthcare, research, energy production and distribution, higher education, industrial, mission critical, and high-performance design markets. Building Design+Construction magazine ranks AEI in the top ten of US engineering firms overall, and in the top ten of healthcare, university, science and technology, and Federal government engineers. AEI has received 13 R&D Magazine Lab of the Year awards.
- Being a part of a collaborative team, working in innovative environments, encouraging exceptional performance, and exploring outside interests and professional development; AEI recognizes our employees are the most valued part of our firm.
We are seeking an Instrumentation and Controls Engineer II to join our team in ourMadison, WI office. The Controls Engineer will be involved with the development of P&IDs, system architectures, specifications, instrument points lists, control sequences and other associated control system design documentation. Other responsibilities include attending design meetings, performing field surveys and reviewing vendor submittals.
As an Instrumentation and Controls Engineer II, you will be responsible for developing innovative and unique conotrol solutions to align with project, client, and project partner's needs.
- Works collaboratively with the client and project partners to identify project technical requirements and user needs and offers technically sound advice and innovative solutions.
- Performs system calculations, and sizing and selection of system components.
- Reviews the layout of systems and equipment with project team members, project partners and clients.
- Understands interpersonal dynamics of working with co-workers, and project partners, and responds appropriately seeking support as needed.
- Contributes to the development of design budgets and schedules.
- Anticipates, identifies, and plans design work required to meet project deadlines. Effectively adapts to changing needs and priorities. Raises day-to-day and long-term, budget, and quality issues with the appropriate people (Project Engineers, Department Facilitator, DMT Leaders) in a constructive manner.
- Delegates work, identifies specific tasks, and balances work for BIM Staff, Interns, Designer I, Designer II and Engineer I in order to meet client demands and project deadlines. Reviews work for completeness and accuracy.
- Uses effective written communication skills to prepare meeting notes, create and edit design specifications,
- Responds to Requests for Information (RFIs) incorporating information from project documents, specifications, shop drawings and design criteria.
- Reads relevant project correspondence and maintains proper filing structures.
- Performs quality review of own work and participates in additional quality efforts as assigned.
- Travels to job sites to perform field verifications and field surveys.
- Works to establish a positive working relationship with project partners based on competence, trust and respect.
- Participates in the advancement of discipline practices, processes and tools as assigned. Actively shares lessons learned and suggests continuous improvement initiatives within the Instrumentation and Controls discipline.
- BSEE/ME or equivalent experience.
- 4+ years of experience specializing in Building Automation Systems (with a good understanding of mechanical HVAC systems) and/or Process/Industrial Controls (with a good understanding of mechanical systems related to process, and industrial facilities).
- Experience with CAD or BIM drafting software such as: AutoCAD, AutoCAD Electrical, AutoCAD P&ID, Plant 3D, Revit
- Detailed, hands-on knowledge of Building Automation, PLC, or DCS control systems.
- Experience with industrial networks and communication protocols.
- Ability to travel for client meetings, field survey, commissioning, and startup support.