You will be qualifying and characterizing products by determining measurable product requirement standards. Also ensuring systems provide for margin for failure in operation to achieve acceptable results even in off-nominal conditions.
You will be developing products within an overall integrated system framework encompassing complete range of sciences, engineering, manufacturing, marketing, customer and other essential inputs to ensure end products meet requirements and perform their intended functions.
Duties and responsibilities
- Verifies and validates that products function as designed by testing and measuring performance.
- Works cross-functionally with scientific as well as engineering personnel and others to consider full spectrum of relevant aspects of product development and design.
- Characterizes systems by breaking them down into their component parts, mapping out how each function will work within the overall system to make sure products will operate to requirements and as intended.
- Develops and implements novel test methods for assuring system function in nominal and marginal operating conditions.
- Accounts for margin for failure in designs, building extra leeway into products so they continue to function despite potential problems.
- Provide support for overall system throughout entire product development process, providing consultative support and ensuring each system piece is progressing and integrated according to plan.
- Conceptualizes and evaluates technical feasibility of new product concepts and major hardware changes to existing products.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3+ years of engineering experience as well as medical instrument/product development and systems integration experiencepreferred.
Skills and abilities
- Good understanding of life and biological sciences.
- Ability to work with and on cross-functional development teams.
- Proficient in analyzing test results, assessing probable failure modes and developing and executing appropriate corrective action.
- Effective verbal and written communications skills, including ability to communicate complex array of issues both to the team and other parts of the organization.
- Ability to trouble shoot and solve technical problems.
- Experience in scripting programming languages such as Python is favored
- Working knowledge of Microsoft desktop environment and analytical tools such as Matlab, JMP and Computer aided design (CAD) software tools as required.
- Exposure to National Instrument Suite is favored.
- Extensive sitting, standing and computer use.
- Extend and reach with hands and arms and use hands and fingers.
- Occasionally required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crouch.
- May be required to lift, move and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Some travelrequired.
- Work with exposed moving electro-mechanical parts.
- Work with exposed electrical power requiring proper protective equipment.