Instrument & Control System Design Engineer – Corporate
Albemarle Corporation is seeking an experienced instrument and control system design engineer to work as part of the Corporate Engineering group. The position will be based in the United States (Houston, TX or Charlotte, NC) and will report to the Corporate Engineering Instrument & Control System Design Group Leader.
The candidate will provide instrument and control system design engineering expertise for capital projects at Albemarle Corporation facilities around the globe. The candidate will work with internal and external resources on project design teams to progress a project from early concept to final installation and eventual chemical production. These designs shall be safe, operable, reliable, economical, and environmentally sound. The candidate may be expected to work on multiple projects of various sizes. The candidate may also provide technical support for troubleshooting, problem solving, and failure analysis related to instrument and control system installations at Albemarle Corporation facilities.
- Zero injuries and incidents on assigned projects.
- Ensure that project funding estimate input for instrument and control systems are compiled and submitted correctly and timely with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ensure that design packages and installations comply with applicable codes, regulations, Albemarle Corporation and industry standards and specifications, and best practices for chemical process plant design.
- Ensure that technical content and quality of designs and installation meet requirements of project scopes. The designs must be complete and have the required quality in order to minimize field change orders.
- Ensure that specific discipline design activities are completed in accordance with the capital project schedule and budget.
- Exhibit effective communication and interaction with team members, internal customers, and external suppliers.
- Ensure regular and efficient communication with supervision on project progress, changes in scope, and any other relevant issues that may affect completion of assigned tasks.
- Maintain keen focus on individual, team, and surrounding worker safety by displaying constant vigilance of workspace. The candidate is responsible for communicating any unsafe conditions immediately and for providing direction as needed to ensure engineering designs and construction is performed in a safe and injury free manner.
- Provide proactive instrument and control system engineering input to capital project scope, budget, and schedule development as required.
- Develop solid conceptual and front-end engineering designs for instrument and control system requirements on capital projects that will be outsourced for detailed design. These robust conceptual and front-end engineering designs will be used to develop project estimates and must minimize detail design and construction scope changes in later phases of the project.
- Work with other design and drafting teammates to develop and maintain design packages and solutions that are within the scope of the capital project and are accurate, workable, economical, and in compliance with all pertinent standards, specifications, codes, and regulations.
- Provide specific discipline guidance for outsourced engineering staffing for projects. This guidance must be designed to meet project budgets and schedules.
- Possess a strong knowledge of instrument and control system equipment used in the chemical processing industry.
- Provide independent guidance and oversight of outsourced capital project design activities, special studies, etc. Monitor and review specific discipline contractor activities, deliverables, and progress related to schedule, budget, and quality and coordinate necessary corrective actions.
- Provide reliable solutions to modify instrument and control system equipment at operating facilities to improve safety and/or reduce costs.
- Maintain and expand current knowledge of industry standards, regulations, and best practices and research new developments in theory and application in the instrument and control system engineering field. This knowledge shall be shared with peers and supervision and used to deploy new technologies as appropriate on capital projects or in support of technical problems at Albemarle Corporation.
- The candidate for this role would typically have a BS degree in Electrical Engineering or BS degree in Chemical Engineering.
- 5-10 years of instrument and control system design experience in the Chemical Process Industry or similar industry or an advanced engineering degree with lesser experience.
- Significant demonstrated experience performing instrument and control system design on projects with TIC budgets in excess of $1,000,000 USD.
- Significant demonstrated experience with instrumentation (including P&ID development, selection, calculations, specification, procurement, wiring design for construction packages, commissioning, startup, and maintenance) in industrial chemical or petro-chemical processing facilities.
- Significant demonstrated experience with instrument and control system design during all phases of the capital project life cycle – scope development, detailed design, construction, and commissioning.
- Significant demonstrated knowledge of applicable instrument and control systems engineering code requirements, standards, and best practices for chemical process plant design (OSHA, NFPA, API, NEC, IEEE, IEC, and/or the applicable host country codes). This demonstrated knowledge would include specific design and evaluation experience with such documents.
- Excellent Computer skills – Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, etc.), AutoCAD, etc.
- Independent self-starter with detail and results-oriented focus.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Excellent team member skills with ability to work with all levels of plant personnel in fast-paced environments.
- Proven ability in problem solving.
- Proven ability to manage multiple activities with varied scope, schedule, priorities, and locations.
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to travel significant time (at least 50%) to engineering contractor offices and to visit domestic or international Albemarle Corporation production facilities, engineering contractor offices, or suppliers as needed to support project activities.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer.
- Fluency in reading, writing, and speaking Spanish is highly desirable (English competency is mandatory).
- Experience with distributed control systems and programmable logic controllers (including specification, procurement, design, configuration and programming, commissioning, startup, and maintenance) in industrial chemical or petro-chemical processing facilities.
- Experience with safety instrumented systems and knowledge of IEC 61511 and associated recognized and generally accepted good engineering practices (including developing requirements documentation, SIL calculations, system design, documentation, system configuration, commissioning, etc.) is highly desirable. Industry certifications related to this field of knowledge are desirable.
- Experience with application practices related to industrial control system security and knowledge of IEC 62443 and associated recognized and generally accepted good engineering practices is highly desirable. Industry certifications related to this field of knowledge are desirable.
- Capital project management experience.
- Structured Root Cause Failure Analysis training and/or significant experience.
- Experience working as an instrument and control system maintenance or reliability engineer (experience working in operating facilities) in the Chemical Process Industry or similar industry is highly desired.
- Experience with SAP business enterprise systems.