Instructional Designer - 90619
Organization: EH-Environ, Health, & Safety
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory is seeking an Instructional Designer to support several Operations Divisions with planning, designing and developing e-learning, in-class and blended instruction for a variety of technical subjects, including health and safety, finance, and security management. As a member of the Environment, Health, and Safety Training Group, this position will work in partnership with subject matter experts, internal clients, and stakeholders to design and develop highly interactive performance-oriented, technical training that utilizes video, graphics and other media.
This is a great opportunity to join a dynamic, multidisciplinary research institution and work with a community creating ground-breaking science solutions across the energy, computing, environment, biosciences, and physics areas.
What You Will Do:
• Design and develop performance-oriented e-learning, classroom, and webinar-style courses that use simulation and scenarios to provide opportunities for learners to practice the skills they are learning.
• Lead and support training development projects using evidence-based instructional methods and performance-oriented learning theories or models, such as situated cognition, discovery-based learning, Michael Allen's CCAFs, and Cathy Moore's Action Mapping, according to needs.
• Design and develop performance-support materials, including job-aids, just-in-time instruction, table-top activities and skills demonstrations.
• Design and implement methods to effectively assess learning and collect and incorporate learner feedback.
• Work with a diverse group of internal clients across a wide variety of Berkeley Lab Operations and scientific divisions and departments.
• Quickly learn technical content to work effectively with subject matter experts to translate highly technical material into effective learning.
• Facilitate and deliver classroom and train-the-trainer learning sessions/workshops in partnership with subject matter experts.
• Provide training program administrative support and assist with help desk and learning management system support as needed.
What is Required:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Instructional Technologies or a related field and a minimum of 5 years of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Strong instructional design, writing and eLearning development skills involving the use of video, multimedia, and graphics production.
• Strong understanding of learning theories applicable to the development of performance-oriented training, such as situated cognition, discovery-based learning and constructivism.
• Advanced expertise with Articulate Storyline; intermediate to advanced Photoshop skills.
• Strong computer skills, including experience with PC or Mac platforms, Microsoft suite (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), and collaboration tools.
• Proven ability to prepare and deliver effective presentations.
• Excellent time management, logistics planning, and organizational skills to plan and execute multiple activities.
• Experience working in technical, finance, security, health and safety, and/or academic or research environments.
• Graphic design, information design, and/or media design skills.
• Scientific or technical background.
• This is a full-time, 3-year term appointment with the possibility of extension or conversion to Career appointment based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Learn About Us:
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities.
Valid through: 9/1/2020