Institutional Relations Manager - Southeast
5 - 7 years experience • Non-Profit
Description The Manager, Institutional Relations, serves as the primary liaison between CIEE and institutions of higher education in a designated region. The primary goal is to meet and exceed enrollment targets for CIEE Study Centers through the management of CIEE’s relationships with institutions in this region. This position may require significant domestic travel during the high seasons (September-November and February-April). Additionally, the position may have an internal focus on a portfolio of CIEE programs to be determined by his/her manager.
•Manage CIEE’s current relationships with study abroad staff, faculty, and other administrators at key institutions with the goal of increasing enrollments and number of approved programs at those schools.
•Develop and sustain new relationships with Study Abroad Office staff, faculty and other institution administrators at institutions in your region
•Function as primary CIEE contact for all institutions in region using regular personal, phone and email interaction.
•Create and host student-facing activities, faculty meetings, on campus staff trainings and other outreach activities as assigned.
•Represent CIEE at Study Abroad Fairs, Pre-departure Orientations and other campus events at institutions in region
•Strategize with Sr. Manager, Institutional Relations to plan and implement an annual strategy for achieving goals in region assigned
•Collaborate with various internal departments to leverage their expertise for visits to or conversations with key institutions
•Represent CIEE at national and regional professional conferences including NAFSA, FORUM and CIEE’s annual conference
•Maintain detailed records of all activities related to institutions in designated region and manage institutional profiles in CRM.
•Provide input on marketing strategies and materials for programs in assigned portfolio and conduct market research, as necessary
•Manage personal travel budget appropriately
•Hours may be uneven and fall outside of the typical 9-5 range. Extensive travel may be required - perhaps as much as 15-18 weeks annually required. 90% of travel is domestic, 10% is international.
•Meet individual and team goals for enrollments and approved programs. Other goals may be assigned from time to time. These goals are both seasonal and annual. Goals and targets are evaluated and adjusted on a routine basis.
•Other duties as assigned
•Must achieve individual and team goals and quotas set by Sr. Manager and Director of department. Goals and targets are evaluated and adjusted on a routine basis. Variable compensation is based on achievement.
•Overall ownership of the relationships with the assigned institutions in region, but must be capable of incorporating other departments within CIEE into those relationships as well
•Working with Sr. Manager to design and implement a sales plan for region to increase enrollments and approved programs
•Responding in a timely manner to all questions, issues, problems, and/or needs of advisors, faculty, parents, colleagues and all interested parties
•Representing CIEE with integrity, accuracy, and in the spirit of its mission.
Knowledge and Skills
- 4 to 7 years of hands-on experience in consultative sales of intangibles or services. Sales to institutions of higher education, personal study abroad experience, and experience in international education are all preferred attributes.
- Consultative sales skills–Must have the proven ability to meet targets.
- Customer service–Must have strong customer service skills and the ability to resolve issues fairly, expediently, and cost-effectively while continuing to manage relationships.
- Communication- Superior written, verbal and phone skills–Must be able to effectively communicate with students, parents, faculty, employees, and industry partners; individually and in groups.
- Organization and administration–Must have extremely strong administrative and organization skills and be able to ensure the effective coordination of a multitude of activities.
- Academic–Must have a strong knowledge of U.S. academic institutions and their culture. Must have the ability to function well in a complex institutional framework, have a high tolerance for ambiguity, flexibility, and the ability to respond quickly and appropriately to changing circumstances.
- Technology–Must have a solid technological background in the Microsoft Office Suite and a willingness to use technology to improve performance. Experience in excel required.
- Travel–Must be willing and able to travel extensively
- Education–Must have at least a BA. Demonstrated interest in higher education preferred.
- Valid US driver’s license
Additional Skills and Experience
- Able to function well in a complex institutional framework
- High tolerance for ambiguity, and have the flexibility necessary to respond quickly and appropriately to changing circumstances
- Presentation, knowledge, background and experience must be credible to academic administrators and faculty.
- Experience studying abroad