This role sits at the nexus of the tripartite mission of Weill Cornell Medicine – Care (Clinical Medicine), Discover (Research), Teach (Medical Education). The Office of Institutional Reporting supports the strategic mission of Weill Cornell Medicine by providing key stakeholders with valuable information, interpreting a high volume and variety of institutional data. The Institutional Data Analyst should be comfortable with balancing technical and business requirements. Doing so requires a diverse technical skillset including data engineering, data modeling, analysis, and visualization as well as critical reasoning in providing valuable insights to key stakeholders.
- Interprets business context related to a variety of Institutional subject matter including research, clinical practice, and education.
- Understands a multitude of data sources used in reporting across institutional subject matter, with the ability to communicate the impact of upstream to downstream data transformations on reporting within the team and organizationally.
- Cleanses and transforms data to align to Institutional data model, maintaining existing reporting workflows and proposing process improvements where necessary.
- Remains diligent in maintaining consistency in reporting across systems and within reporting by performing quality control testing. Clearly communicates results from these processes to team as well as end stakeholders.
- Creates and updates visualizations to support institutional and departmental strategic decision making.
- Performs ad hoc analyses employing a variety of analytical techniques, to provide valuable insight to key stakeholders.
- Supports Information Governance Initiative by analyzing data sources, coordinating meetings (materials and minutes included) for various workgroups/committees, preparing/maintaining institutional data dictionary and maintaining/updating policies.
- Researches and proposes best practices to senior management and provides updates to institutional constituents. Maintains and updates department’s website.
- Responsible for the collection, review and submission of various surveys, including surveys to USNWR, IPEDS, LCME and AAMC.
- Performs other related duties as directed.
Bachelor’s degree in math, statistics, computer science or related technical field.
Approximately 3-5 years experience as a Data Analyst with some experience in each of the below areas.
Programming using python for data cleansing, data analysis, and data visualization including the use of Pandas, Seaborne and Mathplotlib.
Accessing, cleansing and performing analysis on data from one or more of the following sources: transactional tables, OLAP data models, BI data marts, SQL based data warehouses, semi-structured/unstructured data environments.
Outlining objectives, forming hypotheses, and carrying out analysis to drive measurable business impact.
Use of MS Excel v-lookups, pivot tables, and conditional statements.
Utilizing of visualization software including Powerbi, Powerpoint, and Tableau.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Self-starter and rapid learner, with the ability to work individually and in teams.
- Ability to prioritize multiple requests, manage expectations and meet deadlines.
- Proven technical background with experience using Python, SQL, Excel and visualization tools.
- Strong critical thinking skills with the ability to break a problem down into constituent components, and solve in a structured manner.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
Licenses and Certifications
Working Conditions/Physical Demands