Trimble is recruiting for an Institutional Business Development Director to fill an opportunity in Washington, DC.
Trimble is recruiting an experienced Institutional Business Development Director responsible for delivering business growth from opportunities generate through Multilateral Development Banks and other global funding agencies.
This position will provide corporate, management and business development activities connected with data gathering, international competitive bidding tender preparation, contracting, contract execution, and relationship development with foreign government civil servants, foreign military officials, international consultants, and multilateral development banks and agency staff and distribution partners.
The director will manage a team of regional business development managers and operational staff to tender, contract and execute projects.
He/she will report to a corporate Vice President.
- Lead account and project development opportunities generated through the funding agencies These include, but are not limited to corporate partners and customers, distribution partners, multilateral agencies, US and foreign government entities for the Geospatial, Agriculture, Water, Land Administration, Fleet Management, Utilities businesses.
- Build relationships with Bilateral/Multilateral Development Organizations such as the World Bank, United Nations and NATO.
- Execute forecasting tools to plan and deliver sales targets, long range planning, and resource allocation
- Develop strategies and oversee the acquisition and integration of technologies and/or companies within the company’s portfolio
- Marketing and business development activities, including the initial development of vertical market strategies
- Develop and maintain existing contacts with influential multilateral and donor agency staff, consultants and customers
- Guide distributors and the company's business areas on international procurement processes
- Due diligence and data gathering on potential business opportunities
- Preparation of International Competitive Bidding opportunities
- Negotiate and close business together with his business development managers
- Manage an international business development team
CANDIDATE SPECIFICATION: KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
Familiar with the geospatial, land administration, engineering and construction industry, technology aware/skilled; ‘business’ experience; demonstrate competence in relational business development; international exposure; responsible and accountable positions held; culturally sensitive and aware; able to travel internationally (60%+).
Demonstrated understanding of how funding agencies/development organizations operate and how to successfully promote a company within these organizations
The ideal candidate will be highly attuned and knowledgeable of the demands and requirements of channel management, domestic and foreign government and corporate procurement processes. Deep understanding of international business diplomacy, foreign policy, international funding trends and it’s relation with business development opportunities. He/she is familiar with intergovernmental organizations, multilateral development banks, and other donor agencies. Knowledge of international business and investment negotiations, export credit finance, project finance, investments in emerging markets and regional development consultancies is a plus.
- Internationally aware of current affairs
- Culturally sensitive and knowledgeable of foreign customs/cultures
- Proven ability to close large complex international deals
- Account and project management skills
- Strong communication, influencing, advocacy and networking skills
- Good listener to diverse audiences, objective thinker
- Self-starter with a sense of urgency and willingness to tackle complex projects from the inception to conclusion
- Disciplined & organized
Working with Teams and Partnerships
- Clearly articulates Trimble’s vision to all involved.
- Clearly defines roles and expectations of all members involved in a Project.
- Displays respect for other team members and their roles.
- Identifies and cultivates relationships with partners.
- Builds solid relationships with resellers, associates, consultants and across divisions within the firm.
- Develops partnering relationships with partners and customers to ensure the firm’s objectives are met.
- Fosters effective teamwork; e.g., supports and encourages partners; shares information, and considers impact of own actions on others.
- Ensures a wide range of relevant ideas are considered in formation and decision-making.
- Openly communicates ideas and shares relevant information with others.
Related to Customers and Partners
- Has full understanding of customer’s and partner’s businesses and foreign regulatory environments
- Understands and anticipates customer needs and support needs of partners.
- Gives high priority to measuring and delivering customer/partner satisfaction.
- Continually searches for ways to increase customer satisfaction and partner performance.
- Actively listens and asks questions to pinpoint external and internal partner and customer expectations and key priorities.
- Applies key technologies to meet partner needs
- Displays sensitivity to customer perceptions; demonstrates responsiveness and sense of urgency.
- Quickly refers partner problems that he/she cannot address to the right resources.
- Takes responsibility for total partner experience, including the need to get resources, follow-up and communicate.
- Meets regularly with customers and partners abroad to solicit their feedback and assess their satisfaction
Understand Finances & Business Development
- Understanding of corporate finance, corporate development and acquisition process
- Understand funding trends for international development projects
- Acumen in Global Project Finance and Investing in Emerging Markets
- Uses financial and business performance information effectively to make business decisions.
- Continuously explores with partners opportunities to reduce costs and increase revenue.
Other Skills and Personal Characteristics
- Fluent in written and oral English and one other language, proficient in French and/or other languages desired that are common to Trimble’s business.
- Public speaking experience, strong presentation skills
- (MS/MBA) Graduate Degree in International Business, International relations, foreign service or technical area required
Experience requirements (years):
- Five years of international experience in Business Development in fast pace, multicultural environments
- Two years + sales/business development or account management or project management experience
- Two years + experience in one or more of the following industries: government public policy, multilateral development banks, development consulting, surveying, mapping, engineering, construction, mining, agriculture.