The role Installation Manager role entails active program coordination for all phases of Tesla’s Supercharger deployment projects, including feasibility, layout, and design; utility design, easements, permitting, construction, site commissioning, and close-out. The ideal candidate has solid hands-on experience managing infrastructure projects (up to thirty projects at one time across multiple states/provinces); demonstrates initiative, clear-headed problem solving, and mastery of the tactical details for each project. Finally, s/he brings high energy and an optimistic approach towards aggressively driving each project to completion.
- Manages all phases of design, entitlement, and construction of Superchargers sites within a given territory. Success is measured by the number of sites successfully opened for public use.
- Attends field site visits for construction, engineering, utility, and cost viability. Provides site reports and sketches as needed.
- Reviews title reports for ownership, encumbrances, easements, and provides recommendation for construction viability.
- Plans, coordinates, approves, and reviews legal documents and plans for right-of-way/easement/property acquisitions.
- Serves as the liaison with utility company personnel to determine the best routing of primary electrical service.
- Meets with zoning/permitting personnel to understand jurisdictional approval requirements and opportunities for timeline reduction. Represents Tesla and the Supercharger program at public meetings. Tracks and manages status of all needed approvals.
- Reviews and approves construction bids and change orders. Provides support as needed to the general contractor during all phases of construction.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture or a related subject and 4-6 years of increasingly responsible estimating and project management experience, or the equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability
- Minimum 5 - 7 years project management, site acquisition, and/or site development experience. Prior work in telecom/solar/retail development as a project manager or site acquisition manager is desirable.
- Ability to travel (50%-75%) required. This is not an exaggeration.
- Established track record of managing and delivering multiple simultaneous projects ahead of schedule and adhering to the highest quality and standards.
- Advanced knowledge of site acquisition procedures, including regulatory and permitting process.
- Working knowledge of power integration and utility design process.
- Skilled in reading, understanding and red-lining zoning and construction drawings, including utility designs and power distribution details. Cognizant of cost implications and able to make recommendations which benefit the bottom line.
- Aptitude in communicating and building relationships with landlords, local jurisdictions, utility companies and other stakeholders throughout the project cycle.
- Ability to function autonomously, working independent of a support staff, without formal requirements documentation, in a fast-paced environment, ability to manage changing priorities.
- Acts in a scrappy and entrepreneurial manner to accomplish tasks with far fewer resources than a big company would have.
- Takes initiative; doesn’t accept the status quo, comes up with good ideas that improve the company as a whole, or our designs, processes, assemblies and/or results in cost reductions.
- Ability to identify the critical path issues and institute remedies that shorten that critical path.
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy. We design, manufacture, sell and service the world’s best solar technology, energy storage systems, and electric vehicles, providing customers the opportunity to generate, store and consume energy entirely sustainably.
Tesla is committed to hiring and developing top talent from around the world for any given discipline. Based in California, Tesla’s workforce spans across four continents. We work to build an inclusive environment in which all people, regardless of gender, race, religion, or background, can come to do their best work.