The Role The Supercharger Site Development and Installation Manager role entails active program coordination for all phases of Tesla’s Supercharger deployment projects, including feasibility, layout, and design; utility design, easements, permitting, construction, site commissioning, and close-out. The ideal candidate has solid hands-on experience managing infrastructure projects (up to thirty projects at one time across multiple states/provinces); demonstrates initiative, clear-headed problem solving, and mastery of the tactical details for each project. Finally, s/he brings high energy and an optimistic approach towards aggressively driving each project to completion.
- Manages all phases of design, entitlement, and construction of Superchargers sites within a given territory. Success is measured by the number of sites successfully opened for public use.
- Attends field site visits for construction, engineering, utility, and cost viability. Provides site reports and sketches as needed.
- Reviews title reports for ownership, encumbrances, easements, and provides recommendation for construction viability.
- Plans, coordinates, approves, and reviews legal documents and plans for right-of-way/easement/property acquisitions.
- Serves as the liaison with utility company personnel to determine the best routing of primary electrical service.
- Meets with zoning/permitting personnel to understand jurisdictional approval requirements and opportunities for timeline reduction. Represents Tesla and the Supercharger program at public meetings. Tracks and manages status of all needed approvals.
- Reviews and approves construction bids and change orders. Provides support as needed to the general contractor during all phases of construction.
- Minimum 5 - 7 years project management, site acquisition, and/or site development experience. Prior work in telecom/solar/retail development as a project manager or site acquisition manager is desirable.
- Ability to travel (50%-75%) required. This is not an exaggeration.
- Established track record of managing and delivering multiple simultaneous projects ahead of schedule and adhering to the highest quality and standards.
- Advanced knowledge of site acquisition procedures, including regulatory and permitting process.
- Working knowledge of power integration and utility design process.
- Skilled in reading, understanding and red-lining zoning and construction drawings, including utility designs and power distribution details. Cognizant of cost implications and able to make recommendations which benefit the bottom line.
- Aptitude in communicating and building relationships with landlords, local jurisdictions, utility companies and other stakeholders throughout the project cycle.
- Ability to function autonomously, working independent of a support staff, without formal requirements documentation, in a fast-paced environment, ability to manage changing priorities.
- Acts in a scrappy and entrepreneurial manner to accomplish tasks with far fewer resources than a big company would have.
- Takes initiative; doesn’t accept the status quo, comes up with good ideas that improve the company as a whole, or our designs, processes, assemblies and/or results in cost reductions.
- Ability to identify the critical path issues and institute remedies that shorten that critical path.