Assist ISP personnel with troubleshooting, support and maintenance of network elements and connections required to support Charter's revenue generating networks.
Work to provide enterprise-wide tiered support on converged distribution and access network elements and connections as needed. May provide support for moderate services and other products.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Under moderate supervision, responsible for the delivery of high quality off-air, satellite, microwave, and digital transport programming up to the outside plant (point of demarcation from ISP facilities) utilizing, maintaining and installing a variety of optical and electrical interfaces including but not limited to coaxial cable, microwave, fiber optic transmission, CAT 6 to name a few typical technologies. This includes the installation, construction, operation and break-fix remediation, with root cause analysis of all equipment associated with the Headend (HE), Hubs. On-call rotation.
- Perform HE and facility Technical Quality Assurance (TQA) inspections; Ensure all cabling, equipment installation, power and cooling is in compliance with corporate TQA standards. Implement approved methods of procedure.
- Troubleshoot communication architectures, topologies, hardware, software, transmission and signaling links and protocols.
- Setup and operate legacy headend equipment including but not limited to signal processors, modulators, demodulators, IRD's and IRT's
- Perform analog and digitalchannel level measurement and quality testing along with periodically testing of equipment and quality of signal throughout the network.
- Install, maintain, and perform testing and required documentation of emergency alert systems.
- Perform and properly document with guidance all required Charter Engineering and FCC mandated PoP testing.
- Maintain required logs, records and other documentation in compliance with company and FCC (Federal Communications Commission) technical requirements.
- Maintain and support protocol compatibility standards, develops and implements network enhancements.
- Work on projects / systems / issues of moderate to medium complexity surrounding network planning, configuration and optimization.
- Work on one or more projects as a project team member, occasionally as a project team lead.
- Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience.
- Perform network problem resolution and all required HE Proof of Performance Tests as needed. Also perform all daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly testing and logging as outlined by ISP Playbook.
- Perform other duties as requested.
Basic / Minimum Job Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electronics/Technology or Sciences or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum four (4) years Headend Technician or electronics / network implementation experience.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License and safe driving record.
Additional Required Qualifications:
- Valid Certifications from the Society of Cable Telecommunication Engineers (SCTE) BTS (Broadband Transport Specialist) & BDS (Broadband Distribution Specialist).
- Advanced knowledge of RF and IP technologies, HFC design, as well as optical test equipment (such as OTDR, Optical Spectrum Analyzer, Fiber Light Identifier, Optical Fiber Scope and Optical Power Meter).
- Fundamental knowledge of Video Networking, IP and DOCSIS.
- Professional level Network Certification
- Ability to differentiate between different sizes and colors of wires and to make cable connections in tight spaces by bending, reaching, twisting as well as work with small components and wires to make cable connections.
- Ability to safely use weight-bearing equipment (such as ladders) within the maximum limitations of that equipment).
- Ability to accurately measure distances, using tapes or other measuring devices and to read general system layouts from blue prints and system maps.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Work in a 24x7, fast paced environment; work indoors in confined space, poorly ventilated areas.
- Ability to walk over all types of terrain in all kinds of weather while carrying tools and equipment, including ladders and fully loaded tool belts
- Ability to perform duties from high places (roofs); exposure to dust, dirt, insects, rodents, pets, and cleaning solutions; ability to work while standing 50-70% of the time; work and travel in inclement weather; work performed near power facilities and electricity.
The Spectrum brand is powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants.
Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.