- Coordinates with Surgeons, Fellows, and Residents to ensure adequate OR staffing
- Coordinates with Ortho APP manager and Ortho Bayview leadership to ensure completion of department requirements and proper representation of the JHBMC team during department-wide initiatives and changes. Attendance of SOM department meetings and associated responsibilities will be attended on an ‘as needed’ basis.
- Conducts comprehensive, age appropriate and episodic health assessment of patients/families with rea, potential, acute and/or chronic health problems, which include the psychosocial, cognitive and personal assets and limitations of the patient/family with an emphasis on wellness
- Provides patient care for orthopaedic surgery inpatients, working with faculty, residents, and other inpatient staff
- Establishes medical diagnoses; orders and evaluates diagnostic studies; performs and monitors therapeutic procedures; assesses and/or manages follow-up plans
- Prescribes and regulates medications per the NP/PA-physician written agreement in accordance with hospital policy and state law
- Records and documents health assessment data necessary to maintain, coordinate, and/or expedite required services
- Acts as a resource to heath care staff and implements educational programs to improve health states of patients/families, taking into consideration of the developmental needs of the patients and families
- Assumes responsibility for his/her professional development and remains current in clinical practice by attending relevant continuing education.
- Assumes responsibility and accountability for developing and maintaining the inpatient APP staffing schedule.
- Approves time and attendance requests for inpatient providers while ensuring proper inpatient staffing ratios and OR coverage’
- Participates in the recruiting process by interviewing potential candidates and providing input on selections. Leads coordination/training and onboarding of new APP staff as applicable.
- Participates on/leads department, functional unit, and hospital committees as assigned
- Coordinates APP inpatient operations in partnership with other hospital staff (i.e. nursing, case management, physical therapy, etc.)
- Provides input and recommendations in ongoing practice evaluations and APP staff as applicable
- Assists in the coordination of in-service and continuing education programs in areas of expertise as assigned.
- Assists in the maintains of staff files for all inpatient APPs by ensuring inpatient APPs complete required continued education hours in accordance with hospital and departmental policy.
- Attends monthly departmental meetings and assists with associated tasks assigned.
- Assigns other administrative functions and/or projects to other inpatient APPs when deemed appropriate.
Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Demonstrated advanced clinical skills the ability to apply theoretical concepts as part of a multi-disciplinary health care team providing care to patients and their families.
Ability to diagnose patients and to implement a medical care plan for the long and short-term care of acute and chronic health conditions in the intensive care unit. Position requires the ability to:
- Apply critical-thinking and problem-solving skills to function effectively and adapt to a dynamic and often changing work environment.
- Apply evidence-based decision-making when assessing and treating patients.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Collaborate with other services, other units, and other departments.
- Function with minimal supervision within the scope of their practice as part of the critical care team
- Teach and mentor junior staff and rotating house-staff.
Bachelor’s Degree, certification by the NCCPA or similar national certifying body; completion of an ARC-PA approved Physician Assistant program are required. Must be licensed as a PA in the state of Maryland. Three years’ experience in acute/critical care setting, and obtained proficiency in area of critical care. Residency or fellowship programs in area of specialization may substitute for some experience. Current CPR and ACLS certifications. Must maintain license to practice and certifications during duration of employment. Completion of the JHH and BMC credentialing process is required prior to start date.