Description: Under indirect or direct supervision and based on the understanding of patient variables such as age, sex, and other physical characteristics, monitor the medication therapy of hospitalized or ambulatory patients as assigned; confer with and assists medical personnel in the care and treatment of these patients; provide medication information and pharmacokinetic dosing advice; adjust doses, orders laboratory tests, and administer medications according to established policies & procedures; monitor medication distribution; dispense, compound, and distribute pharmacy products. Perform other duties as required.
- Uphold KP's policies and procedures, principles of responsibilities and applicable state, federal and local laws.
- Monitor the medication therapy of specific hospitalized or ambulatory patients as assigned to assure optimum therapeutic results and cost-effective prescribing. Review laboratory test results and the patient's progress to detect adverse drug reactions, and confer with and assist medical personnel in laboratory test interpretation and treatment of patients.
- Interview patients to obtain information regarding medication use, medication allergies and sensitivities. Document the information in patient's medical record or pharmacy information management system (PIMS) when appropriate.
- Advise patients of directions for use, medication storage requirements, importance of compliance, precautions and warnings for medication therapy. Advise patient on the use of related devices and the coordination of drug therapy with diet, according to established polices and procedures.
- Provide medical personnel with medication information and pharmacokinetic dosing advice. Order and adjust dosages, order laboratory tests, and administer medication under protocol according to established policies and procedures.
- Monitor the effectiveness and accuracy of institutional medication distribution. Review physician orders and verify accuracy of transcription data entry into medication administration record or pharmacy information system (PIMS).
- Verify accuracy of medication preparation and dispensing by pharmaceutical personnel. Review patient's medical record to verify proper delivery and correct administration of medication. Report discrepancies to appropriate medical and/or administrative personnel.
- Develop and tests requirements and specifications for protocols, computer programs, pharmacokinetic dosing and other pharmaceutical care applications.
- Participate in assigned education and training programs. Develop and maintain teaching curriculum and conducts educational programs for pharmacy, other medical personnel, and patients. Participate in rounds, hospital committees, utilization review and quality management programs.
- Respond to medical emergencies according to established procedures.
- Assume other activities and responsibilities from time to time as directed.
- Doctor of pharmacy (Pharm. D) degree, preferred.
- Licensed by the California sate board of pharmacy.
- American Heart Association (AHA) approved Basic Life Support (BLS) or Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification must be obtained within the probationary period.
- National Provider Identifier (NPI) required.
- Comprehensive knowledge of emergency medications, and the ability to become CPR-certified.
- Possess comprehensive knowledge of current pharmacological/biopharmaceutical principles, medical terminology, pathologies and disease states, and the ability to relate this information to the patient's medical management plan.
- Working knowledge of aseptic technique and the ability to prepare sterile IV products and chemotherapeutic agents.
- Knowledge of Federal and State laws and regulations regarding the provision of pharmaceutical services.
- Ability to extract pertinent information from the patient, or other sources, and relate it to the patient's medical management plan.
- Ability to learn and operate pharmacy computer system(s) and other equipment.
- Ability to type medication labels.
- Ability to teach and evaluate the effectiveness of teaching.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Job Number: 674463