Innovation & Service Design Director
11 - 15 years experience • Professional, Scientific & Technical Services
The company is looking for an Innovation and Service Design Director to join our team and help us to deliver thought provoking projects for blue chip companies.
This team works with clients to evaluate and experiment with emerging technologies, identifying how these could create value for their business.
The Innovation and Service Design Director will deliver ideation and design projects. You will lead small, expert teams delivering short engagements that address the three phases within our Innovation cycle.
Explore: Working with our research team to identify relevant new tech for each of our clients.
Experiment: Applying a Design Thinking approach with clients to work out how new technologies can benefit customers and colleagues.
Exploit: Linking with our sibling tech team to turn prototypes into rapid PoCs or MVPs, (and assuring that the output reflects the value identified during ideation.
The role would suit you if you have already developed a significant portfolio of innovation projects, delivered for a well know boutique or major consulting organization.
You will have in interest in emerging technology, but the bulk of your experience will be in applying Human Centered Design to business problems. For us, tech is an enabler, rather than an end.
You understand that many have the competencies for this role; some model the behaviors needed to make the grade, but only few recognize that fostering the right team culture will be equally to our success. You’ re one of the people who can tick all three boxes.
This team is an Innovation unit consolidating Fintech, Regtech, Insuretech and Healthtech initiatives. We believe that finding the intersection between emerging tech and the changing world is the best way for companies to create better outcomes for customers, colleague, their community and their shareholders.
The objective of this team is to drive non-linear revenue for the company, and this means spotting and capitalizing on emerging technologies, with the ultimate aim of creating platform-based solutions.
The organization is carved into teams we call “ Engines”. Engine ONE acts as the spear-head for engaging customers. It helps them to explore the emerging technology landscape and identify relevant opportunities for their business. The Engine ONE team also works with clients to experiment (or “ ideate”) with new tech, create prototypes and assess the viability of use cases.
We are located in London, New York and Boston, and also have a constellation of local offices around the globe.
People on this team are Swiss-Army knives, rather than one trick ponies. They have hybrid skillsets and blend the creative, the analytical, the technical, the unconventional, the collaborative and the curious. They are always individuals, and their unique perspectives are what helps us to help clients to do fresh things with emerging tech.
Main duties/responsibilities will include:
- Supporting our Sales team as they identify opportunities to forge relationships within client's business stakeholders.
- Contributing to bid documents and working with Sales to set out project timescales and costings. You will represent our team during client presentations.
- Leading small project teams, that include Service Designers and SMEs from other practices. You will liaise with the client’ s senior stakeholders to set expectations, manage delivery, audit deliverables and feedback recommendations.
- Developing our people and our portfolio. Both are equally important to our success
- This position will have at least one direct report
Key Skills and Experience required for this role:
- You will have a minimum 12 years of experience delivering projects that help clients to innovate, rather than just optimize.
- You will come from an innovation consultancy, or from within a specialist practice within a large agency or SI.
- You will have a deep experience of Design Thinking as an approach, but will also have employed other design methods to help clients work through iterative design processes.
- You will have a good understanding of the Financial, Health and Insurance sectors, and will have deep knowledge in one of these industries.
- You should have a good level of awareness of emerging technologies and how these will impact on society and business. You should be able to articulate how these will create drivers that will reshape industries and business models. You’ ll be able to show us something new.
- Create quality pitch and deliverable decks. Sometimes you dream in PowerPoint, or Keynote. Adobe CC skills are a plus, but not mandatory
- Create professional written assets. Brevity and clarity assures that our deliverables help clients to realize value from emerging tech investments.
- Exemplary facilitation skills that can be applied for large and small groups, and for multi-cultural audiences.
- Inspire the team, our stakeholders and clients. A contagious zeal for tech-enabled innovation and human centered design is mandatory.
- Engage successfully with a tech and business stakeholders
- Thrive in a matrix organisation, influencing without direct authority
- Make great coffee. This is a behavior, rather than a competency. You should be happy working in a flat-hierarchy, where you get the chance to work with inspiring adults at all stages of their careers
- Have a sense of humor that outstrips your sense of self-importance.