Berkley Fire & Marine Underwriters offers preferred inland marine and commercial property insurance products and services throughout the United States. With the ability to craft customized terms, we provide the most effective protection for those in the construction, logistics, manufacturing and transportation industries.
The Territory Underwriting Manager develops regional and local Business Strategic, Tactical and Operational plans. Executes Action Plans leading to the accomplishment of Company goals. Develops deep agency relationships and represents the Company locally, regionally and on a national basis. Will work with Sr. Management of the Company and Regional Companies as required to drive both growth and profitability. Participate in the development of Marine and Property strategic and tactical plans based on company plans, technological advances, and corporate plans. Will work within limits of authority requiring the highest degree of technical complexity and coordination. Focus will be on complex property, marine risks and programs that will drive profitable growth.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Must be able to work independently in an entrepreneurial environment.Builds superior distributionpartnerships with agents and brokers. Develops and implements sales plans to leverage profitable business growth.
- Analyzes applications, determines acceptability of risk in accordance with Company guidelines and practices in order to make the appropriate underwriting decisions. Applies underwriting guidelines and appetite to risk selection and pricing.
- Keeps current on state/territory issues and regulations, industry activity and trends and freely shares information with others. Negotiates with agents to reach positive and profitable outcomes.
- Develops a diverse book of business consisting of varied inland marine and property classes of business, risk size and complexity.Analyzes quality, quantity, and profitability of risks underwritten and prepares reports for management review.
- Assists in the management of the Inland Marine and Property business to achieve the goals and objectives established. Ensures continued profitable growth. May provide guidance and assistance to other underwriters and to other functional areas, particularly when related to cross-sell opportunities.
- Collaborates with management on risks exceeding authority level or requiring special handling. Provides assistance to underwriters requiring referrals due to the authority levels. Evaluates underwriting performance based on financial analysis. Includes rate, reserve adequacy, operational execution, planning and product reviews.
- Collaborates with Regional Companies in developing regional inland marine and property business plans.
- Assists with product development in creation of innovative products and service to introduce to the market.
- Collaborates with business partners in Risk Control, Actuarial, Finance and Claims to driver profitable results.Develops program opportunities.
Required Education and/or Experience
College Degree or equivalent job related experience.
Five to ten years inland marine insurance underwritingexperience.