Your Role: What you'll be doing
- Linux System Administration for a complex mission-critical system comprised of both modern and legacy engineering and production-level systems. Supports a variety of systems used for ULA’s launch activities across multiple development, manufacturing and launch sites.
- Daily responsibilities include a heavy emphasis on cybersecurity implementation and monitoring/response.
- Assists in developing architectural standards and practices for system/pipeline development, enhancement, and maintenance.
- Significant interface with various user groups including software development, custom hardware & network development, operations and corporate IT.
- Ability to develop and execute ConOps work with only periodic review of output by leads.
- Responsible for participating in the design, implementation, and support of a modern software development environment. Develop automation for continuous improvement of system operations, upgrades, security, and software product development/testing.
- Perform technology assessments and recommendations for third-party or open-source product, against a set of desired capabilities and features
- Active engagement with development teams to understand opportunities for improvement, bottlenecks and gaps. Works with teams to develop and execute a continuous improvement roadmap
- Work with a highly collaborative team in an Agile environment embracing a “fail-fast” mentality (fail fast, fail often, react quickly and learn from every failure).
Your Background: What education and experience you'll need
Requires a bachelor’s degree and 4 - 8 years of experience.
Your Background: What skills you'll need
- Experience with 4+ years, and comprehensive knowledge of Linux system administration, OS commands and utilities
- Seasoned professional System Administrator with experience working in a mission-critical environment on complex systems.
- Knowledge of system security concerns and vulnerabilities. (ISO, CNSSI, NIST).
- Ability to independently manage (can manage the overall System Admin work, rather than needing Task-oriented direction) for new and existing technology, engineering systems/processes, use of security hardening as they are assigned. Work with multiple engineering user groups to administrate systems, learn how their systems are configured and work within their schedule and other operational nuances (e.g., rules can change near rocket launch dates).
- Ability to quickly learn (with Task-oriented direction) to do System Admin for new and existing technology, engineering systems/processes, tools/approaches, use of security hardening as they are assigned.
- Ability to use Problem Solving skills to manage the tasks to analyze root causes, define user needs, research and define alternative solutions and recommendations, and document findings.
- Ability to Blueprint a system (e.g., document the business use cases, architecture, data flow, process flow/procedures for a system, Roles and Accountabilities).
- Familiarity with software configuration management systems: Version control systems (e.g., git, SVN, Perforce), build management, dependency management (e.g., package ecosystems such as NPM, Maven, and/or Python Anaconda)
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code technologies such as Terraform, Packer or Ansible
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies in a DevOps environment
- Experience with one or more of the following scripting languages: Perl, Python, Ruby, AWK, Shell and Bash
- Ability to clearly and concisely write documentation (e.g., for problems, designs, task status, System Development Lifecycle).