Information Technology (IT) is the department that is responsible for the Firm's network infrastructure, computer, and telephone systems. The Enterprise Infrastructure Team is a group within IT that maintains and supports a reliable, stable, and high performing network and systems environment.
The Infrastructure Operations Engineer serves as the initial point of escalation for complex, enterprise level issues, delivering support services for: security, servers, storage, backup, disaster recovery, data replication, messaging, networking, SQL database operations, and other critical business systems. This includes working across multiple IT teams to meet performance and uptime service level agreements.
In this position, the employee must meet annual security education training and awareness (SETA) requirements. The employee must also assure that information created, acquired or maintained in performance of job duties is used in accordance with its intended purpose – to protect Troutman Sanders information and its infrastructure from external or internal threats – and to assure that the employee complies with Firm Policy requirements regarding information access, classification, security and privacy.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Develop, implement, maintain and support virtual server and storage infrastructure. Implement proactive maintenance procedures. Responsible for virtual machine implementation and lifecycle management.
- Tune, upgrade, diagnose, and perform system maintenance on physical and virtual devices
- Manage VMware physical infrastructure and storage.
- Create and maintain VM template catalog for multiple operating systems.
- Maintain and basic troubleshooting of voice and video communication technologies including Avaya, Microsoft Lync/Skype, Cisco video conferencing, etc.
- Track and log all activity for incidents and resolutions in ticketing system.
- Contribute to the service desk knowledge base.
- Assist in maintaining an asset management system to ensure that IT resources are secure and accounted for.
- Participate in technology planning activities for the firm.
- Continue to develop skills, knowledge and ability to improve processes and procedures as well as to keep updated on trends and developments in the industry. This includes meeting annual personal development goals.
- Maintain the integrity of the production environment data through strong controls and processes.
- Participate in on-call rotation to ensure 24x7 support of infrastructure systems and database operations, including escalating to senior engineers and/or vendors where appropriate.
- Extended hours as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by manager.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including a demonstrated ability to interact and communicate with all levels of an organization.
- Must be able to concisely communicate issues and document problem resolution.
- Outstanding technology, operational, and client support skills
- 2+ years corporate IT support preferred, including:
- Virtualized server operations (preferably VMware)
- Windows Server operating systems
- Active Directory and related support tools. This includes basic OU rights and administration, DHCP, DNS, etc.
- Software platforms, including: Microsoft Exchange 2013, VMware management tools, Solarwinds, & Microsoft Office.
- Experience in data center infrastructure based operational tasks
- Experience in data management, backup and replication methodologies. Zerto experience is a plus.
- Experience with a SQL Server database is a must. SQL Server Versions: 2008, 2012, and 2014 preferred.
- Ability to discretely handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to work independently and be reliable.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high pressure production environment.
- Must possess a strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
- ITIL experience preferred.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree from accredited college or university or any combination of training, education, or experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
- VMware certifications strongly preferred.