PlanetScale is looking for an Infrastructure Engineer to join our growing team. You will operate database clusters and our control plane in public clouds. You will scale our infrastructure and solve novel software and systems engineering challenges along the way. You will seek out and pursue opportunities to simplify and streamline systems and processes. You will be challenged to build high quality, sustainable systems with empathy and compassion for users and colleagues.
What You Will Be Doing
PlanetScale’s goal is to make it a breeze to deploy and operate Vitess/MySQL clusters on premise as well as in cloud. Your job is to make sure our infrastructure and architecture scales to meet those and many more demands, especially as we support multiple clouds, evolve the platform, and run our own database as a service based on Vitess.
- Build systems and networks to enable running databases at scale in the cloud.
- Help establish, deploy, and monitor security and operations best practices.
- Ship new product features, reliability improvements, and optimizations with engineers alongside folks across the company.
- Investigate and fix risks to user-facing and internal system availability using a systematic approach.
- Work to improve the pace of new development and deployment while improving systems safety.
- Deploy and improve telemetry, logging, and alerting to provide broad operational visibility.
- Automate operational tasks and remediations to reduce toil.
What Will Help You Be Successful
- Experience designing, building, and operating large systems with stringent availability and security requirements.
- Exposure to public cloud and hybrid architectures, particularly using Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, and/or Microsoft Azure.
- Knowledge of Linux, particularly related to debugging, security, and container technologies.
- Experience running, debugging, and optimizing underlying Kubernetes systems and the applications running atop them.
- Background writing software in a mix of languages, particularly Go, C/C++, Rust, and Python. Shell scripting expertise is also relevant.
- Experience with configuration management and infrastructure-as-code (i.e. Terraform)
- Experience collaborating and negotiating with third party vendors, such as public cloud service providers.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills that enable working with people across a range of disciplines.