Under general supervision, provides intermediate programming, configuring and/or analysis skills for specific system assignments. Manages interaction between the systems and corporate technical support areas when additional support is required. Troubleshoots, conducts impact analysis, and escalates appropriately. Defines technical requirements and has ability to coordinate team resources to solve problems. This job does not lead others.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Vendor Software support and troubleshooting; working with vendor on root cause analysis on application issues.
- SQL Server administration; writing scripts, queries, backup/restore databases, data migration activities, fulfilling ad hoc data requests.
- Installing, testing, documenting and supporting third-party vendor distributed (Catastrophe Modeling) software.
- Creating and maintaining systems, installation procedures, infrastructure diagrams and process and procedures documentation.
- Provide technical assistance and support for incoming concerns and issues related to systems, software and hardware.
- Perform daily systems health checks.
- Other duties as assigned.
High School diploma or equivalent required. 3 years of programming/development experience required.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
- Experience in troubleshooting and resolving critical application and Production system issues
- Knowledge of modern technology related to PC’s and Servers, hands-on hardware and software troubleshooting.
- Working technical knowledge of Windows Operating Systems, Windows Server OS, Active Directory, Internet Information Systems (IIS). Ability to conduct research into desktop hardware, server and software issues/products as required.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills. This position requires frequent email (and phone) communications with our Travelers business users, other Travelers technical groups (hardware/infrastructure groups, network support, etc.), as well as our external Vendor software technical support teams.
- Ability to conduct research into desktop hardware, server and software issues/products as required.
- RMS (Risk Management Solutions) software install and support experience is a plus
- TSQL Skills a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred.
- 5 years of programming/development experience preferred.Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
Technical Knowledge: Demonstrates advanced programming/configuration/analytical skills to achieve business and or technical requirements. Able to work independently to resolve discrepancies, defects, incidents or problems with understanding of the business and system impacts. Able to identify and exercise appropriate escalation communications. Demonstrates an aptitude for learning and applying new and/or updated programming languages, techniques, and/or software development disciplines. Demonstrates understanding of the supported business systems.
Communication Skills: Ability to communicate thoughts/designs/ideas in an unambiguous manner and adjusts communication based on audience. Exhibits active and effective communication skills with team members – including active listening and effective written and verbal communication skills. Effectively contributes and communicates with the immediate team.
Business Knowledge & Partnership: Able to clearly and concisely communicate with the business. Demonstrates willingness, cooperation, and concern for business issues. Able to understand assigned business unit and business priorities. Able to coordinate with other technical areas to achieve project/department or division goals.
Problem Solving & Decision Making: Able to recognize, analyze, and diagnose business and technical problems, incidents, and defects of advanced complexity. Able to creatively evaluate alternative solutions Able to reuse previously completed processes. Demonstrates the ability to make routine decisions independently and recognizes when escalation is necessary.
Team Orientation: Ability to build and foster relationships with team, business, and technical partners to achieve objectives. Practices objectivity and openness to others’ views. Able to recognize and support team priorities.
Leadership: Exhibits team leadership and collaborates with partners.
Planning (Project Management): Able to manage time and competing priorities and provide management with accurate and timely status information. Able to accurately evaluate and estimate tasks.
Financial Awareness: Able to understand how the project schedule relates to budget.