Do you love developing creative solutions to challenging engineering problems?
Do you seek a rewarding career in the field of infrared (IR) physics?
Are you excited about the opportunity to invent and build ground breaking systems?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a creative, hardworking IR systems engineer to design and build state-of-the-art IR systems. Our team is primarily focused on the development of cutting edge hypersonic and conventional weapon seekers, but we also develop sophisticated passive and active IR subsystems used in intelligence, reconnaissance, surveillance, and tracking systems. You'll be joining a deeply knowledgeable team of engineers dedicated to developing innovative solutions for employment in complex future battle spaces. You will provide vital contributions within a highly collaborative team environment that values inclusivity and diversity of thought.
As an Infrared Systems Engineer, you will...
- Design IR seekers and sensors to achieve optimal total system performance within the constraints of real world applications.
- Develop and implement the modeling and simulation (M&S) tools needed to assess IR seeker and system performance. Over time, you will improve these tools for use in a wide range of IR applications.
- Analyze the performance of IR systems within the context of realistic military engagement scenarios to determine the effectiveness and vulnerability of U.S. weapons and other systems. Your work will directly contribute to DoD acquisition, research and development decisions and resource allocations.
- Stay abreast with state-of-the-art IR technologies and assess their potential applicability for future IR systems and the possible impact on the battlefield of the future.
- Document and present your conceptual design and performance analysis findings in both oral and written form.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a BS degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Optics or a related field.
- Have completed IR related undergraduate coursework such as: Optics, IR sensor technology, digital image/video processing, EM wave propagation, IR signature modeling.
- Have developed code to solve engineering problems and implement complex mathematical equations.
- Are a superb communicator, both written and verbal.
- Are willing and able to travel periodically to meetings with government clients and field test locations.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have a MS degree in an IR related technical field.
- Have two or more years of professional engineering experience working with IR seeker conceptual design, performance analysis or hardware.
- Have experience with developing IR image and video processing algorithms.
- Have developed automatic target recognition algorithms; integrated IR seekers with guidance, navigation and control avionics subsystems; or optimized IR seeker designs based on weapon concept of operations.
- Have experience developing IR M&S tools in MATLAB, C, C++ or Python.