Information Developer (Technical Writer)
As an Information Developer you will create conceptual, reference and task-type technical content for end users of Rockwell Automation products. You will work as part of an Information Development team to create publications such as technical data sheets, installation instructions, and user manuals. The technical content is used by internal personnel, channel partners, and end users to specify, select, operate, troubleshoot, and maintain products.
Information Developers manage multiple priorities, work with product development teams, and are engaged with evolving processes.
Your responsibilities will include:
Working with a variety of different functions and levels of personnel in marketing, engineering, quality, and other disciplines to gather and interpret source information.
Ensuring that information products are reviewed and approved before publication.
Taking your technical information products through printing, language translation, distribution, and record retention.
Ensuring that technical information products are developed according to style guidelines and templates, with a global perspective, and are optimized for translation.
Depending on your background, you may work on establishing future content development methodologies or heading up special department-wide projects, leading to opportunities for professional advancement.
EOE, M/F/Disable, Vet
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical or communication field, or equivalent 10 years of experience in the technical communication field.
- Experience working with Adobe FrameMaker
- At least five years in the technical communication field, with at least two years of experience focused on creating customer-facing content for industrial equipment, electronics, or other technical subjects.
- Ability to present a portfolio of writing samples and/or previous work experience.
- Legal authorization to work in the US is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Knowledge of industrial automation control and information products preferred (control systems, software, communication networks and human interface devices) or other highly-technical subject matter.
- Demonstrated ability to interface with a variety of levels and functions, and possesses adequate interview skills to gather information from subject matter experts.
- Coursework in computer science, electronics, engineering, or related sciences a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to manipulate engineering drawings to create technical illustrations.
- Software: expert Adobe FrameMaker skills, Acrobat, Illustrator; Microsoft Office, SharePoint (or experience with similar programs).