This role performs a key function in Product Information building and optimizing our backbone taxonomy and attribute models. This backbone data model serves as the foundation for two purposes: backward facing as the collection model for our suppliers and forward facing as the starting point for our digital merchandising teams building experiences for our customers.
Integral to all our Merchandising and Product Information workflows, this role helps ensure all of Grainger’s physical products are easily understood in a digital setting through appropriate classifications and well-defined by the product information metadata including attributes and values.
This role also serves as a key thought leader in Product Information, communicating Product Information best practices and concepts to internal business partners as a critical member of the end-to-end Merchandising team.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead, define, and ensure appropriate capture, publishing and maintenance of taxonomies, attributes and values
- Oversee and ensuring the product specific attributes and controlled vocabulary align to product domain and enterprise standards
- Lead tracking, validating, and analyzing taxonomy changes
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) on product data governance as it relates to taxonomy
- Support all processes in Product Information, Category Reviews, New Product Introduction and Maintenance ensuring highest quality product information results
- Understand and communicate the impact of data changes and new product additions to merchants
- Responsible to collect, analyze and summarize metrics/usage data; leverage results of data analysis to inform design decisions
- Define, execute & document enterprise standards, models, and guidelines including metadata architecture and methods for classification (e.g. taxonomies, ontologies, tagging, etc).
Preferred Education and Experience:
- 3+ years’ experience in information architecture, taxonomies, ontologies, product information, product content and other related digital UX disciplines
- BS/BA degree in engineering, library sciences (MLIS) is preferred
- Experience with e-commerce businesses preferred, particularly in B2B Manufacturing or Distribution
- Ability to drive action through the activity of others in order to reach stated objectives. Also provides team members with constructive feedback relative to performance and personal development. (leadership/developing self and others)
- Understanding of Product Information systems including Product Information Management, Taxonomy Management and other related systems
- Demonstrated experience in driving results through a diverse set of business processes and problem solving (results driven)
- Able to communicate instructions in a clear, concise fashion
- Great verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical and metadata information in a clear and concise manner to multiple technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience working in environments with aggressive deadlines and production environments
- Data analysis and reporting experience