About This Job
The Industry Consultant – Engineering and Operations Support is a highly technical and advanced position that is viewed as a subject matter expert and trusted adviser by our Members and all engineering and operations teams, Member support teams, research and development teams, and product teams.
This position handles and coordinates resolution of highly complex and advanced software challenges to Member satisfaction. Software supported includes NISC developed suite of engineering products which promote operational efficiency in our Member's offices - Outage Management System (OMS), Operations Analytics (OA), Work Management, SmartTrack, CallCapture, and AppSuite. The Industry Consultant exercises a high degree of creativity and judgement and reports to the Team Lead of Member Support. A background in electrical engineering, technical support, and electric cooperative industry is necessary for success in this position.
What you will do as an Industry Consultant
- Assist Members in all aspects of application support for NISC developed suite of engineering products - Outage Management System (OMS), Operations Analytics (OA), Work Management, SmartTrack, CallCapture, and AppSuite via phone, e-mail, or change requests (CR) assigned via NISC iVUE Support system.
- Responsible for resolution of complicated, high priority, and escalated software challenges.
- Perform root cause research, analysis, and remediation of Member outage events as recorded in Outage Management System.
- Collaborates with all Member support departments on the integration points between engineering products and the rest of NISC application suite. Collaborates with third parties on external integration points.
- Proactively monitor application support issues and identify patterns. Collaborate with research and development team to proactively address these issues.
- Assist with software release processes including testing and give feedback on software design.
- Provide escalated support for engineering and operations support team. Provide accurate suggestions for next best troubleshooting steps.
- Provide after-hours support via an on-call support phone rotation. Provide second level after-hours support for engineering and operations support team.
- Serve as technical point person for large and complex Members.
- Document solutions as NISC Community articles and whitepapers for our Members and engineering and operations support team.
- Represent engineering and operations support team on the NISC Community, at NISC Workshops, the Member Information Conference, Advisory Committees, Member visits, and deliver presentations at Industry events.
- Perform either on-site or remote training to our Members in the form of best practice reviews and prepare training materials.
- Take an active role in advancing the knowledge of our engineering and operations support team through mentoring and training.
Desired Job Experience/Knowledge
- 10+ years' experience in an electric engineering field and/or electric cooperative industry, focusing on software applications supporting external customers.
- 5+ years' experience in advanced troubleshooting of software applications, including interfaces to third party systems.
- Mastery of NISC's Engineering and Operations products' features and functionality.
- Mastery of other integrated Utility industry applications and services.
- Demonstrated technical leader, problem-solver, and subject matter expert.
- Proven commitment to Member satisfaction.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written, communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to lead initiatives across the organization.
- Ability to effectively adapt to change.
- Strong organization and prioritization skills.
- Provide ability to interact in a positive manner with internal and external contacts.
- Provide ability to maintain the highest level of professionalism, ethical behavior, and confidentiality.
- Commitment to NISC's Statement of Shared Values.
Desired Education and/or Certification(s):
- High School diploma or equivalency required
- Bachelor's Degree in an engineering related field.