ABB Inc. seeks an Industry Account Manager (Water and Waste Water) to join our Control Technologies BU. The successful candidate will report to ABB in Cleveland, OH, but may be located outside of Cleveland in Nashville, Charlotte, Atlanta or Orlando.
This Industry Account Manager will develop and close business for the Water and Waste Water Market associated with Distributed Control Systems, SCADA and PLC systems. This person will need to leverage and build relationships with Water and Waste Water customers, associated EPC s and Engineering/Architect firms focusing on the Water and Waste Water market. Also, they will need to coach and lead direct sales account managers in developing, proposing and closing DCS / SCADA system sales in their assigned territory by acting as the industry market / sales subject matter expert, be able to conduct field evaluations of existing controls and assist with proposal development and pricing strategies and work with customers and EPCs and Engineering firms to help specify ABB on new and expansion projects.
This person will need to develop market strategies and sales tools to help grow ABB's presence in the Water and Waste Water Market. This includes: attending trade shows, use industry contacts and databases to help identify and target Water and Waster projectsm as well as helping the direct sales account managers qualify and prioritize (make bid and no bid decisions) water and waste water project opportunities.
Typical duties/responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Lead and functionally manager the business development team objectives supporting water and waste water business by acting through the direct sales team or as an individual contributor directly selling to water customers.
• Meet or exceed assigned sales quota.
• Develop and execute the water industry business' sales strategy for both installed base customers and new business opportunities. The sales strategy needs to provide opportunities for both short term and long term growth. The strategy needs to be water industry specific and include water treatment plants, water distribution systems, wastewater treatment plants, WW collection systems, desalination facilities, and large water transfer projects.
• Develop strategic partnerships in order to enhance ABB's water industry control offering.
• Participate in planning efforts with other ABB Sales and Business Development Managers. Establish and maintain close ties with customers and support groups. Be active in appropriate water associations to optimize customer networking, monitor market trends and promote ABB. Evaluate market conditions, prepare sales plans and forecasts and develop cost effective business strategies to achieve objectives. Gather/receive market intelligence and act on it per your determination of best use of ABB time and resources, including your own. In concert with project teams consisting of various support groups, direct the preparation of proposals, determine appropriate technical and contractual approach consistent with the organization's objectives.
• Develop action plans for customers and facilitate plan implementation by participating business units, business areas and sales. Establish business/market segment strategies to achieve growth/profitability objectives and increase customer satisfaction.
• Provide market feedback; organize and lead project teams consisting of various support groups to respond effectively to unique business opportunities and take advantage of unusual situations in the marketplace. Determine commercial viability of products and resources required
• Up to 75% travel required. .
• High School Diploma or GED AND 9 years of experience in sales or account management related to industry automation products and services OR
• Associate's Degree AND 7 years of experience in sales or account management related to industry automation products and services OR
• Bachelor's Degree AND 5 years of experience in sales or account management related to industry automation products and services
• Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the US
**Alternatively this position may be hired at a senior level with the following experience**
• High School Diploma or GED AND 12 years of experience in sales or account management related to industry automation products and services OR
• Associate's Degree AND 10 years of experience in sales or account management related to industry automation products and services OR
• Bachelor's Degree AND 8 years of experience in sales or account management related to industry automation products and services
• 8 years of experience in developing and implementing sales strategies for water industry automation products and services.
• A proven track record of closing DCS / SCADA / PLC business in the Water and Waste Water Market is essential.
• 8 years of experience in managing accounts and business development including developing budgets, capital expenditures, and business drivers and identifying and engaging key stakeholders; and engineering, servicing, maintaining or selling DCS and SCADA solutions.
• Knowledge of the processes and systems used in water industry.
• Proven ability to visit a plant and know how it is structured and being operated and maintained.
• Proven ability to understand the existing controls and identify improvements that could significantly affect the facility's O&M and convey to Owner how ABB's offering can provide the best solution.
• Understanding of water industry facility upgrade/modernization/replacement programs, due to regulations, aging equipment, capacity needs.
• Translate facility changes to control systems upgrades or replacements and ABB's solutions.
• Understanding of municipal, and other government entities, procurement procedures and assure ABB is properly qualified and registered as necessary for future business.
• Ability to develop relationship with end user and consultant in order to get ABB listed as one of "approved or preferred" suppliers in specifications and Requests for Proposal and to help write the specs and RFP.
• History and experience developing relationships with consultants, Owner's engineers, Consulting Design Engineers, EPC, contractors, system integrators, design-build entities, key process technology suppliers and end users in order to be on their early information announcement list and be a go-to person for controls information.
• Experience with optimizing trade show exhibits and cooperating with Marketing Group and other Company Business Units in same exhibit space.
• History of participation in water industry groups such as AWWA, WEFTEC, ISA/W&WW, International Desalination Association and local groups.
• Understanding of water industry control competitive systems such as Schneider, Emerson, Siemens, Rockwell, GE, etc.