A successful industrial engineer will use his/her process improvement experience to quantitatively assess current production/business system performance and execute change to reduce cost and optimize capacity. This role demands excellent communication and interpersonal skills as well as a holistic understanding of manufacturing operations. Industrial engineers will not only execute on change, but also prioritize projects based on opportunity. Industrial engineers will work across departments with production, design, quality, finance, supply chain, demand planning, production planning, and various engineering teams to improve factory operations and reduce cost. A successful IE team member will balance short-term tactical improvement with long-term business process and systems improvement.
- Identify, quantify, compare, and execute production process improvements to drive safety and ergonomics, quality (first pass yield), availability (uptime), performance (cycle time variability), capital utilization, and demand attainment.
- Create and implement tools to audit efficiency, and identify cost reduction opportunities across Tesla.
- Define and manage operational metrics for current and future production systems.
- Calculate, propose, and implement new methods and processes for existing production systems.
- Educate and engage cross-functional teams in importance of continuous improvement.
- Manage and communicate improvement opportunities and implementation plans to all relevant levels and functions in the factory.
- B.S. in Industrial Eng., Mechanical Eng., Operations Research, Financial Eng., Engineering Management (M.S./M.Eng. Preferred) with 5+ years of work experience.
- Outstanding critical thinking and communication skills, with a very high level of emotional intelligence, autonomy, and servant leadership.
- Innate ability to fully comprehend new processes and systems quickly, with high attention to detail.
- Industrial cost control/reporting/analysis experience in high volume manufacturing environments.
- Advanced-level MS Office skills (primarily Excel and Visio).
- Leadership/management experience and/or end-to-end project management experience.
- Experience with industry-standard problem solving methodologies (A3, ATS, UPS), preventive and autonomous maintenance concepts, time/motion study analysis, continuous improvement (6 sigma techniques, lean manufacturing), and change management.
- Experience with applied mathematics and operations research (linear and non-linear programming, stochastic simulation methods).
- Experience with any/all of the following: simulation modeling software (FlexSim), data visualization software (Tableau), design software (SolidWorks, CATIA), programming languages (SQL, Python, MATLAB, VBA).