Illumina’s goal is to improve human health by enabling our customers to accelerate the collection, analysis, and application of biological information by using our hardware and software-based genetic sequencing solutions. The User Experience team employs user-centered design strategies to deliver best-in-class products that are safe, effective, and easy to use, and that exceed our customer’s expectations.
We’re seeking a passionate and talented industrial designer to join our team in the pursuit of beautiful and functional products. You are someone who not only understands user-centered design, but lives and breathes it, always focused on the needs of our customers while able to triangulate marketing, engineering, and development requirements. You love collaborating with colleagues, considering ideas regardless of where they come from, but are also strong enough to advocate for and present your rationale for decisions when needed. You are laser-focused on all steps of the design process, from learning and understanding, to sketching, to prototyping, to color, materials and finish, and you thrive on design challenges.
- Collaborate with the product development team to deliver safe, functional, manufacturable, and innovative products while meeting regulatory requirements.
- Produce output that spans initial concept development, storyboards, prototypes, models, iterations, and final designs, and includes hand-drawn illustrations, 2D computer mockups, 3D prototypes, and CMF design requirements for hardware, and GUI elements for software.
- Identify complex design problems, anticipate production issues, evaluate options and develop alternative solutions, and be able to clearly articulate the problems and solutions with the team.
- Integrate user-centered design processes to drive decisions.
- Work collaboratively with multiple cross-functional teams in a fast-paced environment.
- Evaluate and collaborate on designs from outside vendors.
- Guide multi-disciplinary teams through design and manufacturing processes.
- Help lead brainstorm and team discussions to find solutions.
- Contribute to GUI projects on an as-needed basis
- 7+ years experience as an industrial designer with a strong portfolio of product designs illustrating a deep appreciation for usability, aesthetics, and ingenuity
- Fluency in prototyping and manufacturing methods, and experience with design research including trends, colors, materials, and finishes
- Strong sketching skills
- Proficiency in 3D modeling/ mockups
- 2D and 3D software proficiency (Adobe suite, Sketch, Solidworks, Creo, etc.)
- 3D rendering skills (Keyshot, etc.)
- Ability to design for hardware and software GUI
- Strong communication skills
- Must enjoy team collaboration, with the ability to lead and inspire others
- Ability to travel infrequently
- Applicants must submit an online project portfolio with their application, with details about how you contributed to each project
- Life science/clinical /medical design experience is a plus
- Familiarity with working in a regulated industry is a plus
- Laboratory / wet bench work experience a plus
- Bachelor's degree in Industrial Design or related field of study