The Industrial Designer will utilize their specialist knowledge and practical experience of creative design and engineering to produce innovative, functional, effective, and aesthetically pleasing consumer products across our Health and Wellness categories. They are responsible for everything from the initial concept and design to the testing and manufacturability of their designs.
POSITION REQUIREMENTSESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND OTHER DUTIES
- Take a strategic approach to product design across our portfolio of products and brands with a focus on end-to-end experience.
- Work in a cross-functional team environment to understand design parameters within defined product categories for new product development, leading the design phase of the project.
- Create preliminary artistic drawings in the form of illustrations and storyboards of product concepts, present them for feedback and creatively use the feedback to refine product design.
- Use software to refine designs and create virtual models of products.
- Utilize 3D printing to create product prototypes that are both non-functional and working in order to evaluate their practicality.
- Explore new product options with special focus on innovation in both design and function.
- Explore design concepts through various sketching styles (thumbnail to formal renderings).
- Develop concept models as well as creating data for rapid prototype models.
- Envision the manufacturing process required to produce their designs.
- Work closely with Engineering to prepare material specs as well as ensure manufacturability of designs.
- Collaborate with Engineering to evaluate product prototypes in order to determine production feasibility and costs.
- Work collaboratively to research and create trend/consumer analysis studies to be used for future product design work.
- Willingness to wear many hats and work in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced culture.
- Demonstrated sketching ability (portfolio review), a proven ability to communicate design concepts, and follow their designs all the way through manufacturing.
- Demonstrated ability to work across a wide range of projects and handle multiple tasks and assignments.
- Ability to troubleshoot (with engineering both domestic and over-seas) part, assembly, or function issues
- Demonstrated competencies
- Team player and collaborative – works closely with engineering, marketing, product development and management.
- Initiative – initiates actions based on interpretation or understanding of projects or goals, is pro-active, and demonstrates the ability to handle multiple tasks and assignments.
- Results oriented – consistently delivers projects accurately and on time; sets and achieves achievable, yet aggressive, goals; consistently complies with quality standards and meets deadlines.
- Dealing with ambiguity – effectively copes with change, shifts gears comfortably, and can decide and act without having the total picture.
- Verbal and written communication skills – ability to express thoughts orally and in writing, working with senior leadership and our worldwide partners to explain designs, ability to discern non-obvious insights upon which to create design elements (user interface, usability, meaningful product benefits, etc.)
- Active listening - seeking first to understand and comprehend the full context from consumers, team-members, or whoever is providing feedback on designs, features, approaches, and prototypes to better assess how a product might be refined to delight the user
- Problem-solving and analytical thinking – accurately assesses situations and arrives at positive solutions through a logical reasoning process to get a design from concept to prototype.
- Innovative – is always looking for ways to design new products aligned with the Company’s mission and vision or enhance existing products to improve the customer experience.
- Proficiency in Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, and competency in Solidworks or Fusion 360.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree, in Industrial Design preferred
- 5-10 years of experience in consumer product design with a strong and innovative portfolio
- Creative concept development experience with strong problem solving and logical thinking capacities.
- Entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment.
- The team is passionate about design and our craft, consistently engaged to drive and build something new.
- Open work environment, to encourage and support collaboration.
- Extra hours may be needed on a per project basis.
- Travel may be necessary depending on project needs.
- Vision to read printed materials and a computer screen and ability to distinguish colors and differences in hue tones.
- While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to talk and hear to communicate in person and over the telephone. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or inspect prototype samples.
- Moderate effort is needed to move 3D printing supplies, prototypes, and samples to and from design area, strength to lift and carry materials weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer, and to attend meetings.