ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES: (functions considered essential as defined by ADA)
- Technical resource for the control systems and process automation field specifically related to SIS (Safety Instrumented Systems) Functional Safety (ANSI/ISA-84 and IEC 61511)
- Set and maintain plant policy on safety instrumented system design standards (aligned with corporate standards) and documentation standards, including burner management systems (BMS) and unit safety systems
- Review existing and new SIS to ensure compliance with company and industry standards
- Responsibility for the development and coordination of instrument and shutdown system reliability improvement efforts (Lifecycle Management), processes and systems, such as: Defect elimination, Event Code Metrics, Predictive/Preventive Maintenance Plans, Criticality Analysis, SIS and associated metrics
- Develop and maintain criticality ranking for new/upgraded SIS deployment for the site.
- Provide review assistance of SIS Functional Safety scope of work documents – Description of Operation, Cause and Effect Diagram, and Testing procedures
- Collect and review key performance indicator (KPI) on SIS/BMS performance.
- Participation and facilitation of Functional Safety Assessment, SIL Assignment Review MeetingParticipate in Process Hazard Analysis (PHA), and participate in incident investigationsProvide training on PHA and Incident Investigation facilitation and general training on Management Of Change (MOC), incident investigations, PHA’s and Pre-start up Safety Reviews (PSSR)
- Required to write or modify qualification/testing documents for SIS systems and oversee testing during outages to verify correct functionality
- Provides discipline specific engineering assistance, direction and development assistance to colleaguesSolves technical problems related to projects and troubleshoots and updates report data for business unit(s)Upgrades, designs, configures, maintains and monitors related equipment and performanceDevelops project scopes, budgets and AFE’s for approval and ensures projects meet budget as well as refinery and OSHA standardsEnsures the maintenance and integrity of business unit(s) dataOptimizes business unit(s) and analyzes data to aid operations with decisionsResearches and stays abreast of assigned discipline subjects, innovations and leading edge developmentsDevelops systems to document and track the testing and assist in the maintenance of the various systems
- Update the Refinery Risk Management Program (RMP) as needed
May be required to do some or all of the following:
- Design plant equipment and devise processes for manufacturing chemicals and products
- Conduct research to develop new and improved product manufacturing processes
- Determine most effective arrangement of operations
- Implement processing methods and controls to meet quality standards in the most cost efficient manner
- Investigate and resolve work-in-process problems
- Recommend and implement improvements and/or modification in sequence of operations, equipment utilization, and related matters
- Review proposals of outside vendors regarding the purchase of new or modernization of existing processing equipment
- Assist with clean fuel projects
- Improve profitability of the refinery
- Design and build plant additions and modifications
- Act as a liaison between the company and county and state and/or other agencies
Special assignments or tasks assigned to the employee by their supervisor, as determined from time to time in their sole and complete discretion
A minimum of five years of progressive work experience in controls system (PLC, DCS, Industrial Networks), a strong understanding of basic refinery processes and the elements of process safety and an emphasis on controls engineering is required in this position. .
Refinery or petrochemical industry experiencepreferred. Some or all of FCC, CCR, Alky, Sulfur unit, Delayed Coking, Lubes Processing and hydrotreating experience is preferred depending on assignment.
- Experience in programming PLC’s
- Proficient with the development of all SIS Functional Safety and SIS related deliverables; including Functional Safety Plans, SIF Lists, SIF response time calculations, SIL verification calculations, test plans, Safety Requirements Specifications, I/O Lists, Range/Alarm/Trip/Shutdown schedules, system block diagrams, cause/effect logic matrix, function block (Boolean) diagrams, logic narratives, SIS hardware/software/configuration specs, etc.
- Burner Management Systems Integration
- SIS hardware inspection, FAT, SAT, loop checks, start-up and commissioning
- Honeywell Experion
- Honeywell Saftey manager
- Honeywell TDC
- Allen Bradley Studio 5000 and Logix 500
- Modicon Unity
- Bejier HMI Programming
A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required.
Ability to manage a project is essential. Working knowledge of commonly used engineering concepts and ability to apply this knowledge analytically. Ability to stay abreast of new technology developments and processes is essential. Ability to communicate effectively with others, strong verbal communication skills, advanced level of reading and writing, ability to perform advanced mathematical calculations. Advanced ability to work effectively with multiple groups throughout the refinery. Strong spreadsheet and word processing applications knowledge; strong interpersonal, time-management and organizational skills; ability to provide training to multiple groups on a variety of applicable assigned discipline topics. Knowledge of various process hazard analysis and root cause analysis methodologies is required for Process Safety Engineering discipline.
- 5+ years of experience working SIS/controls projects in the oil & gas, refinery or petrochemical industries
- Broad knowledge of the SIS Functional Safety field including ANSI/ISA-84 and IEC 61508 / 61511; as well as the application, specification and installation of Safety Instrumented Systems
- Experience participating in Functional Safety Assessment, SIL Assignment Review Meetings as well as the facilitation of these meetings
- Thorough understanding of P&ID symbology and presentation techniques
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Advanced MS Office skills (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)