Essential Functions / Key Focus Areas
- Plan, develop and implement innovative business plans, organization policies, and goals that drive short term profitability and long-term growth by providing value-added product differentiation and customer service.
- Generate and manage the budget and take responsibility for the full P & L performance.
- Develop and maintain a strong rapport with key customers and distributors to understand customer needs, ensure satisfaction with products and support, and provide feedback to the worldwide organization.
- Direct and coordinate the promotion of VA products to increase market share, and obtain competitive market position through thinking strategically, demonstrating entrepreneurialism, experimenting, and dealing effectively with a changing business climate.
- Keep abreast of trends in the various markets served and competitive activity to understand and enhance the business unit's position in the market.
- Establish a results-oriented management style that measures and evaluates individual performance against clearly defined accountable competencies, responsibilities and objectives.
- Attract, develop, and retain talent within the business unit to ensure the competency level of all employees is sufficient to be fully effective in their roles.
- Coordinate with global colleagues to ensure cross functional and cross geographic cooperation.
- Determine the operational strategy to include identification of where and how products are produced, sold, shipped, and serviced.
- Actively participate in creating a safe and positive work environment for all employees by ensuring employees are properly trained, safety requirements are effectively communicated, and safety hazards are identified and corrected.
- Support company continual improvement initiatives.
- Support front end business development activities including planning, customer visits, presentations and proposal development.
- Collaborate extensively with external customers and distributors, and internally across Brooks Instrument to grow the Variable Area business.
- Develop customer intimacy, understanding their needs, and communicate at the appropriate level of the varying degrees of technical knowledge.
- Serve as a counselor and catalyst for the business in identifying areas for improvement and revenue generation to achieve increased operational efficiencies and productivity.
- Maintain an overview of competitor programs to ensure Brooks is effectively positioned to compete and win in the marketplace.
- Create data driven presentations that illustrate Brooks competitive differentiators.
- Stay abreast of market and business trends impacting the Variable Area business.
- Network with counterparts at other ITW businesses to understand best practices and integrate this knowledge gained into work practices.
- Anticipate and react to major changes to ensure market competitiveness.
- Foster an environment that values creatively solving problems and delivering results.
- Instill a sense of urgency to ensure that all activities are completed on schedule and budget.
- Act as a disruptive stimulator to the rest of the business by questioning the status quo and providing strategic foresight to fuel the company's competitive edge going forward.
- Act with a high sense of trust and integrity.
- Professional Experience – Minimum of 7 years of business experience of which at least 5 years have been in progressively responsible leadership roles. Experience in Global 500 companies as well as smaller organizations is desirable.
- Functional Experience – Business leader with a track record of building high performing teams, streamlining business processes (front-to-back), leading cross-functional groups, and successfully interfacing with a direct and indirect sales force. Familiarity with the ITW 80/20 concepts preferred.
- Industry Experience – Experience working for an industrial manufacturing business is required. Some level of exposure to flow & pressure measurement & control desirable. Further, experience working in or supporting industrial customers in fields such as: Oil & Gas, Petrochemical, Medical Devices, Analytical Instruments, and Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC), is strongly preferred.
- Education: A bachelor's degree in a business and / or technical field required. A master's degree in business or a technical discipline preferred.