Industrial Automation Systems Engineer, Data Center and Deployment Solutions
Our computational challenges are so big and unique we can't just buy our hardware, we've got to make it ourselves. Our Platforms Team designs and builds the hardware, software and networking technologies that power all of Google's services. As a Mechanical Engineer you design and evaluate our data center systems, identifying product requirements and contributing to research and project planning. From the chip to chiller, you are responsible for designing and optimizing an architecture that will scale with Google's continued growth.
With your technical expertise, you lead and manage projects, develop product and process improvements, provide consultation to others and help facilitate training and development.
Google's global deployment of custom-designed machines has created one of the largest and most powerful computing infrastructures. From the chip to chiller, the Technical Infrastructure team designs, builds and operates the software, hardware and networks that power all of Google's services. As our operations continue to grow, it’s becoming ever more important to develop our hardware, infrastructure and processes for deploying and operating at scale. As Google continues to grow, this scale requires automation in hardware as well as software.
You will design new systems to speed up the deployment and operations of our data center infrastructure. You have expertise in mechanical design and analysis, systems integration, and manufacturing process automation. With partner teams, you will evaluate existing operations then identify opportunities for savings and improvement through process changes and industrial automation technology. You will also be involved in setting strategic initiatives for the design of future generation hardware and data center infrastructure backed up by a strong business case. You will develop and regularly demonstrate manual, semi-automated, and fully automated systems or technology building blocks. You’ll manage detailed requirements definition and partner with the end user for rollout and implementation. This will include the planning of validation activities to demonstrate readiness of solutions into mass deployment.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We're always on call to keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Identify and scope projects around deployment and innovation opportunities as well as technologyrisks.
- Develop and demonstrate designs for complex systems backed by thorough engineering analysis.
- Manage process development and equipment designs including requirements gathering, concepts generation and detailed design, analysis and verification testing, cross-functional reviews and production release.
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field equivalent practical experience.
- 8years of industry experience, including development experience within manufacturing or warehouse operations.
- Experience in automated process and equipment development.
- Experience with 3D CAD systems (Pro/Engineer or SolidWorks).
- Demonstrated knowledge of industrial automation technologies and suppliers (autonomously guided vehicles, mechatronics, conveyors, stages, robots, pneumatics, cameras, lighting, motors, controllers etc).
- Understanding of statistics and experimental design.