We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.:
The In House Legal Counsel will be part of a collaborative team working directly with our internal business partners including senior corporate executives to help solve business problems, review contracts and generally help to drive successful business outcomes. In particular, the Senior Counsel is responsible for providing practical advice and legal expertise to business clients in departments throughout our organization including: Procurement, Information Technology, Supply Chain, Marketing, Merchandising, Advertising, Finance and Accounting, Commercial Sales and Customer Support. The work will also include trademark analysis and review, compliance oversight, litigation management and oversight of outside counsel (as needed). Work assignments consist of major and complex transactions, contract negotiation, drafting and associated review work and other legal tasks. Considerable legal judgment and experience, a detailed understanding of our company and business along with outstanding communication and analytical skills are required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Counsel management on business decisions and the impact of legal considerations.
- Handle review, analysis and negotiation of complex commercial agreements, including transactions relating to: information technology, e-commerce, international supply chain, merchandising (including revenue recognition, defects and product returns), marketing and sponsorship, professional consulting services, technology, intellectual property, telecommunications, transportation, privacy issues, customer sales and human resources.
- Review company polices and compliance obligations and counsel business clients on proposed updates.
- Analyze and update terms and conditions of Software as a Service products and eServices offered to customers.
- Research and maintain knowledge on legal issues relevant to business operations. Study proposed and existing legislation to remain informed regarding changes that may impact business operations.
- Interpret contractual obligations and requirements of applicable law and regulations.
- Train and assist Staff Attorney in legal matters.
- Anticipate and help to guard against legal risks involving the organization.
- Investigate, gather facts, statements, and supporting documentation to develop legal strategies and planning in both business negotiation and litigation scenarios.
- Provide research, factual information, counsel, and guidance on legal questions or issues.
- Prepare memoranda, initial drafts, and final drafts of legal documents.
- Maintain client contact to receive work, render opinions, and consult and advise; some work handled without supervision or consultation. Establish and maintain positive working relationships with business clients.
- Negotiate contract terms with third parties, and create appropriate documentation of transactions.
- Review and analysis of inquires from regulatory authorities and their agents; assist in preparation and delivery of responses and oversee outside counsel where necessary.
- With supervisor’s approval, set defense strategy in litigation matters. When appropriate, negotiate settlement agreements.
- Serve as liaison to outside counsel for litigation and other matters.
- Develop and conduct training materials/classes on assigned topics.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to handle high work volume and exercise judgment to prioritize tasks.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Ability to read, analyze, understand and interpret complex legal and business documents.
- Ability to respond discretely and effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Ability to make effective and persuasive presentations on controversial and/or complex topics to all levels of management and outside third parties.
- Ability to understand and analyze budget/P&L statements and manage fees/expenses on a proactive basis.
- High level of reasoning ability required.
- Ability to define problems, make relevant inquiries, collect and analyze complex data and conflicting viewpoints, establish facts and draw valid conclusions, as well as make strategic decisions and persuasive arguments.
- Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree from an accredited law school required, and at least 8 years experience practicing law in a law firm or corporate environment.