L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $17 billion in annual revenue, 50,000 employees and customers in more than 130 countries. L3Harris.com
The IMS Project Engineering organization requires a senior leader to provide assistance on critical programs & pursuits.
The position reports directly to the Senior Director of Project Engineering for the Integrated Mission Systems (IMS) segment. Responsible for providing project engineering leadership, guidance and training to our most important & high risk programs & pursuits across the IMS segment. This segment level position exists to strengthen the PE role across the segment, and demands a strong technical leader with significant engineering experience across the entire program lifecycle. This Project Engineer will assist on key pursuit and programs to provide independent review, drive best practices & standard processes, tools, and templates. This leader will also assist in developing a PE library of standard PE process, tools, templates & training for the IMS segment.
- Engage on key pursuits to improve the quality of the entire engineering offering. Assist the team to develop integrated & executable plans, clear engineering work breakdown, technical & management volume, thorough estimates & valid BOEs, cohesive & executable schedule & budget, and high quality program plans (Risk & Opp Mgmt, EVMS, change management & communication).
- Engage with the PE on critical programs before startup to ensure readiness of the engineering team, in anticipation of award and/or execution.
- Engage with the PE on critical programs during execution, driving improvement of the engineering results through recovery plans and robust engineering management cadence. Will ensure an effective engineering structure (PE, IPTLs, CAMs, CSE, etc), effective risk & opportunity management, thorough monitoring of integrated schedule & budget, and proper planning and execution of future phases of engineering development.
- Provide PE independent review of program internal reviews (Bid Review, Program Startup, SRR, SDR, PDR, CDR, TRR, etc). Includes identification of systemic improvement needs, assisting PE with action closure and timely communication of results and status to segment leadership.
- This leader will work closely with deployed PEs to raise the collective maturity of project engineering through coaching and informal training, by providing resources, tools and additional training opportunities. Navigating ambiguity in balancing local processes with the greater desire to implement enterprise wide solutions across a very diverse business segment.
- Provide Engineering independent review and support to the IMS BOOTS team, including action closure and communication of results and status.
*Role can be located Plano, Texas; Greenville, Texas; Anaheim, California; Palm Bay, Florida; Waco, Texas; Goleta, California; Mason, Ohio; Camden, New Jersey
- Bachelor’s degree in core engineering discipline
- 15+ years’ engineering experience
- PE experience leading engineering development programs
- Proposal experience
- Earned Value Management experience as CAM/IPTL/PE
- Experienced in usage of Integrated Schedule management tools (Project, PlanisWare, etc)
- Experienced in Risk & Opportunity Management, review boards, mitigation planning, and impact on project planning
- Significant development program experience; turn-around program experience preferred
- Understands the value of systems engineering in the program planning & development process
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative communications skills
- Comfort holding training and improvement activities
- Self-motivated to initiate and engage in ‘cold start’ situations, where the explicit need is to assess and implement change quickly
- Ability to coach through influence, in high pressure situations, with little time to onramp
- Ability to take calculated risks, achieve success or fail quickly, learn and move ahead
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously; possesses strong organization and prioritization skills
- Comfortable working in a high visibility, fast-paced, rapidly changing, results-oriented work environment
- Self-confident with exceptional influencing and leadership skills
- Systems engineering experience, having managed or contributed to the solution technical baseline
- Experience on competitive proposals is highly desirable
- Experience managing programs or large IPTs with many internal performers, subcontractors & suppliers
- Strong subject matter expertise in one or more engineering subdisciplines
- Experience working in Agile software and/or DevOps environments, ideally having lead the estimating, planning & deployment of DevOps on programs
- Travel required (50% likely, more if able)
- Consistent remote work in support of a geographically diverse team, using Skype, SharePoint, and telephone calls (75%)
- Willing and able to work extended hours when necessary