Every day, the people of TSYS® and Netspend® improve lives and businesses around the globe through payments. We make it possible for millions of people to move money between buyers and sellers using our payments solutions including credit, debit, prepaid and merchant services. We are "People-Centered Payments", and our team has the unique opportunity to help create a world in which payments make people's lives easier and better. This is both a tremendous honor and an important responsibility for those who accept the challenge. If you are looking to make a valuable difference for people everywhere — and for yourself — we may have the right place for you.
Summary of This Role
Plans computerized databases, including base definition, structure, documentation, long-range requirements, operational guidelines and protection. Ensures accuracy and completeness of data in master files and various support tools, such as base dictionaries. Establishes and maintains security and integrity controls. Formulates and monitors policies, procedures and standards relating to database management. Proposes and implements enhancements that will improve the performance and reliability of the system.
What Part Will You Play?
- Performs testing of database software, utilities and fixes within a test (sandbox) environment prior to production roll out. Identifies and resolves issues while in the sandbox environment. Performs the migration of tested/approved software, utilities, and fixes to the production environment. Develops basic to moderately complex database configurations by creating database objects per specified business requirements and the necessary sandbox environments for testing. Works in close liaison with application developers to ensure best practices are applied to mitigate potential impacts to the various user groups and/or otherdatabase configurations. Coaches/mentors less experienced Database Administrators (DBAs) as they begin to perform routine/basic database administration tasks.
- Schedules database back-up tasks and ensure proper completion of scheduled tasks. Execute database recovery task during a disaster recovery and/or disaster recovery exercise.
- Monitors current usage levels of database storage to identify and report growth trends and assist in the forecasting of future storage requirements. Assists with the development of long-term capacity plans. Performs routine maintenance such as data compression and defragmentation (online reorg).
- Ensures the high availability of the supported database(s) by actively monitoring database performance to identify bottlenecks, such as inefficient queries, inconsistent and/or corrupt indexes, databasedesign, and provides recommendations for corrective actions. Applies routine database tuning and optimization techniques, such as rebuilding indexes, to maintain database performance. Perform database statistic reporting on a regularly scheduled basis.
- Works closely with the Applications Team while performing troubleshooting to determine the source of application failures. Assists in the development of solutions to minimize the potential of future application failures. Supports the implementation of solutions.
- Produces and maintains operational database documentation, such as DB2 Disaster Recovery, DB2 Recovery Presentation, Naming Standards, Performance and Tuning, to ensure database configurations are well documented in preparation for disaster recovery.
- Assists in the training and familiarization of less experienced DBAs regarding company policies and procedures, techniques and current server/database configurations.
- Define, maintain, and monitor IMSDatabases; Create Job Control Language (JCL) in an ISPF/TSO environment; Perform Oncall duties during non-work hours.
What Are We Looking For in This Role?
- Bachelor's Degree
- Relevant Experience or Degree in: No degree specified
- Typically Minimum 4 Years Relevant Exp
- Installation, customization, testing, and maintenance of database systems within a production environment
- Bachelor's Degree
- IT related field
What Are Our Desired Skills and Capabilities?
- Skills / Knowledge - A seasoned, experienced professional with a full understanding of area of specialization; resolves a wide range of issues in creative ways. This job is the fully qualified, career-oriented, journey-level position.
- Job Complexity - Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Networks with senior internal and external personnel in own area of expertise.
- Supervision - Normally receives little instruction on day-to-day work, general instructions on new assignments.
- DBMS Knowledge - Extensive knowledge of multiple database disciplines and technologies
- DBMS Utilities - Extensive knowledge of multiple utilities utilized to manage, monitor and maintain database systems
- DBMS Recovery - Extensive knowledge of recovery technologies for local and geographically disperse systems.